Robert Westbrook, Aircraft and Accordion Repair
A
thread 1/11
The spaceflight and astronomy community is filled with indifference and cowardice with regard to the activities of SpaceX. Few within it will acknowledge that stopping creeping fascism is more important than the success of his rocket flights, which enable his continued chaos.
01:28 AM - Jul 24, 2023
A
thread 2/11
Yes, I'm going to rain on all your parades by pointing out that whatever good you think comes from the hard work of SpaceX engineers and technicians, the fact is that their participation in his enrichment is enabling harm. Enormous harm. To our citizens and others on Earth.
01:29 AM - Jul 24, 2023
A
thread 3/11
Hatred is being deliberately sown on his platform, through his own well-documented demands and desires. Hatred and threats to women, to trans people, to Jews, to nonwhites. He pushes anti-vax propaganda, which carries a massive death toll.
A
thread 4/11
I shouldn't have to point out that juvenile rationalizations such as "space and spaceflight are so cool!" are just indicators that you find your own entertainment more important than the lives of your fellow citizens, especially those who are marginalized.
A
thread 5/11
"But we can walk and chew gum" you retort. "We can celebrate and encourage the marvel of exploration while also condemning bigotry!" you say.

No. Not in this particular case, you can't. Because the perpetrator of both of those things is the same person.
01:30 AM - Jul 24, 2023
A
thread 6/11
Which means that to stop the source and continued energy of the hatred means he must be stopped. His source of financial energy must be stopped. You cannot have it both ways. You have to pick a side, whether you're an astronaut, an engineer, or a cafeteria worker.
A
thread 7/11
Believe me, I get the marvel. I've been a close follower and enthusiast of the American space program my entire life. I went to the cape to witness Sally Ride's first flight on the Space Shuttle. I got Buzz Aldrin to autograph a copy of the Case For Mars program that I attended.
A
thread 8/11
I can name the crew of every Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo flight. I'm old enough to remember watching Apollo 17, the Apollo-Soyuz test program, Skylab, Viking, Voyager.
A
thread 9/11
But if one man had been responsible for the ongoing funding of those missions, and had as his personal mission to harm millions of innocent people for no reason other than bigotry, I would be happy to see it all stopped.
A
thread 10/11
The stars and planets will still be there when we mature enough to realize what's more important - thrills or lives. And yes, in the case of Musk, those things are mutually exclusive.
01:31 AM - Jul 24, 2023
A
thread 11/11
Until he's no longer in the picture, no longer pulling strings, no longer setting out to harm innocent people, I cheer for every single one of his rockets to fail. Everyone who helps him is culpable for the hatred he propagates. There's no avoiding it. It's time to grow up.
01:31 AM - Jul 24, 2023
Sassy Musing
A
In response to Robert Westbrook, Aircraft and Accordion Repair.
I agree with what you're saying except if there are people on his flights, I'd rather no one dies if the flight fails. What needs to happen is to get the people working for him to seek employment elsewhere and leave him in the lurch. Let him build it himself.
01:46 AM - Jul 24, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}