Maeve
A
When I was a kid, I would ride my bike into town every Saturday and go to the library. I spent hours there & then would get a slice of pizza and a soda, browse the shops, get candy and ride my bike home with my treasures. I can't imagine anyone trying to tell me what books I can and cannot read.
08:01 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie
A
When I would check out books, my mother had only 1 rule: if I didn't understand something, I was to come and ask her. I rarely didn't understand what I was reading, and she trusted me. If she got a list of books I wasn't allowed to read, she would've bought them for me!
In response to Maeve.
08:04 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Susan Vavrick
A
In response to Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie.
My mom would have done the same. And she never once told me I couldn’t read something.

That said, she might not have been quite as easygoing if she’d ever known what I read at the next door neighbor’s when I was baby-sitting LOL
08:11 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Maeve
A
In response to Susan Vavrick.
I am GenX, can you just imagine the book she caught me reading and took away?
08:19 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie
A
In response to Susan Vavrick.
Out of curiosity, what was it?

A neighbor once lent me "The Children of Ham" by Claude Brown. But she balked at lending me, "I, Claudius" and "Claudius the God." Compared to "The Children of Ham," those books were elementary school readers. I got an education from all 3, though.
08:24 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Maeve
A
In response to Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie.
Book banning angers me so much. My parents didn't censor anything I read except for one book, and I rechecked it out of the library and read it on the sly. Lol
08:06 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie
A
In response to Maeve.
Aside from "The Women's Room," Mom only hesitated over one book I brought home - "The Friends," by Rosa Guy, because of the language in it. But all she asked was, did I know what was in it, and what it was about? When I said yes both times, she handed me back the book.
08:29 PM - Feb 18, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}