Maeve
A
When I was a kid, I would ride my bike into town every Saturday and go to the library. I spent hours there & then would get a slice of pizza and a soda, browse the shops, get candy and ride my bike home with my treasures. I can't imagine anyone trying to tell me what books I can and cannot read.
08:01 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie
A
In response to Maeve.
When I would check out books, my mother had only 1 rule: if I didn't understand something, I was to come and ask her. I rarely didn't understand what I was reading, and she trusted me. If she got a list of books I wasn't allowed to read, she would've bought them for me!
08:04 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Susan Vavrick
A
My mom would have done the same. And she never once told me I couldn’t read something.

That said, she might not have been quite as easygoing if she’d ever known what I read at the next door neighbor’s when I was baby-sitting LOL
In response to Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie.
08:11 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie
A
In response to Susan Vavrick.
Out of curiosity, what was it?

A neighbor once lent me "The Children of Ham" by Claude Brown. But she balked at lending me, "I, Claudius" and "Claudius the God." Compared to "The Children of Ham," those books were elementary school readers. I got an education from all 3, though.
08:24 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Maeve
A
In response to Susan Vavrick.
I am GenX, can you just imagine the book she caught me reading and took away?
08:19 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie
A
In response to Maeve.
"The Women's Room"? I'm GenX, too, and that was the one book my mom took out of my hands and said I was too young to read. I wish she'd caught me with "Goodbye, Janette" instead; THAT was the book I never should have picked up. 😬
08:21 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Susan Vavrick
A
In response to Maeve.
Lots of possibilities there! I’m a boomer and there were plenty to choose from too. My neighbors were a lot more free-wheeling than my parents, I think is a good way to put it.
08:23 PM - Feb 18, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}