Thurgood Du Bois
A
thread 1/11
I've been thinking hard about seeing some of these former hip hop stars make these gross missteps with their own community.

There's various reasons that can be said but one theory particularly sticks in my mind.... #Spoutible
10:42 AM - Aug 01, 2023
Thurgood Du Bois
A
thread 2/11
See today we live in an age where information is more easily accessible. A few clicks away in the palm of your hand.

Back in the day, it wasn't like that. You had to go to the library, watch the evening news every night (and hope to mention what happened in your area), read 📰, etc #Spoutible
10:49 AM - Aug 01, 2023
Thurgood Du Bois
A
thread 3/11
Rap was called "The Black CNN" for a reason bc it shined a light on Black struggle, overcoming, culture and its accomplishments.

Rappers were looked up to bc they were teaching & drop knowledge though vinyl, cassessttes, CDs and video that ppl weren't exposed to massively. #Spoutible
10:54 AM - Aug 01, 2023
Thurgood Du Bois
A
thread 4/11
Rappers had a handle on the Black message. They could sell records, go on tours, etc.

In an age of such accessible info like this where ppl connect to each other more than ever before they don't necessarily need a rapper to tell their stories anymore.

And I think they struggle to find their place.
10:57 AM - Aug 01, 2023
Thurgood Du Bois
A
thread 5/11
Not only I think they struggle to find their place....it seems to me some become bitter and want to find a way to get ppl to follow them again bc it's something *they* need.

Following *the people* was never in their plans. And seemingly they want or plan to follow them. Why? #Spoutible
11:00 AM - Aug 01, 2023
Thurgood Du Bois
A
thread 6/11
What does it say about a person that is totally fine with people following them but those same people could not guide you, correct you, etc?

The "I Am The Way" complex is interesting.
11:02 AM - Aug 01, 2023 (Edited)
Thurgood Du Bois
A
thread 7/11
If a rapper don't have the clout anymore that's fine. You know why? Some of those very ppl who picked your music eventually picked up the mantle.

BLM, Until Freedom and so many others.

Maybe your ppl don't need *you* to make another record about the Ebony experience. #Spoutible
11:11 AM - Aug 01, 2023
Thurgood Du Bois
A
thread 8/11
Maybe what the ppl need is for them to use their resources to support those on the ground marching, protesting, getting locked up, etc that are fighting to change our struggle and get the very liberation you rapped to them about? #Spoutible
11:18 AM - Aug 01, 2023
Thurgood Du Bois
A
thread 9/11
Maybe what the ppl need is for you to put your ego to the side and read up on what's happening politically and what your want?

Maybe what they need is for you to put your resources into Black owned businesses that don't self-serve but actually serves Blk ppl like #BlackStarNetwork #Spoutible
11:24 AM - Aug 01, 2023
Thurgood Du Bois
A
thread 10/11
In other words, the best leaders know when it's time to lead....from behind.

The worst ones don't know when to get out of the way.

Today, if these ppl really do care about Black ppl, you listen to, walk with and, if need be, get behind your ppl. #Spoutible
11:29 AM - Aug 01, 2023
Thurgood Du Bois
A
thread 11/11
If not, they're gonna tell you in various ways to "get outta the way" bc they'll have enough info and knowledge to that you're a problem.

This is a move of someone who wants more Black ppl 💵 & don't give a damn what they think. How many Black ppl would've told him this is good idea? #Spoutible
11:36 AM - Aug 01, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}