Drew Geishecker
A
Would you ever pay to be "verified" on any social or professional network?

Yes

No

Depends (Comment)

39 votes — 05:09 PM - Feb 19, 2023
Botchan
A
In response to Drew Geishecker.
Depends... I do pay for LinkedIn so I guess there are platforms I would. I don't think many people would want to impersonate me ;)
11:09 AM - Feb 20, 2023
Jason Hay
A
I suppose if I was famous in some way or representing my brand I would pay to protect my name. But as an average citizen, never.
05:15 PM - Feb 19, 2023
Drew Geishecker
A
In response to Jason Hay.
So, if you were famous and it was Meta-style verification instead of Twitter, which doesn't actually verify identity.

It'll be interesting to see how much bundling verification with priority in comments, search, etc., will result in "ad blindness" of accounts sporting a checkmark.
06:04 PM - Feb 19, 2023
rob
A
i think verification for all makes sense. the verification sign should simply mean i am who i say i am. i think a one-time payment is reasonable since this involves work for the platform, but a recurring payment is just a cash grab in my opinion.
05:14 PM - Feb 19, 2023
Drew Geishecker
A
In response to rob.
Interesting take on it.

Should users who verify be required to use their real name as display name? And if they legally change names, go through re-verification?

But you can't verify if you choose a fictitious display name like "Cat Mom of King's Landing"?
06:12 PM - Feb 19, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}