Widge
B
Genuine question: when was the last time that a true "conservative" principle was used to actually benefit the country?

It could be social or economic, I'll take either. I honestly can't think of a single thing from the last 40 years that qualifies.
07:58 AM - Aug 08, 2023
Cary Cat Lady
A
In response to Widge.
Nixon created the EPA, but that was 50+ years ago. In spite of some crimes, he was arguably the last good Republican.
10:08 AM - Aug 08, 2023
Widge
B
In response to Cary Cat Lady.
Definitely. I thought of the EPA and some of the more beneficial things that Nixon had done, but since the American Right changed so dramatically with Reagan, I thought I'd narrow the range to Ronnie and onward.

Honestly not sure what even NON-conservative positives that they've brought since then.
10:42 AM - Aug 08, 2023
Bill Howard
A
In response to Widge.
We’re talking conservative principle not today’s Republican Party “principle” right? A respectable conservative principle is to balance government budget over the long run. Meaning government spending shouldn’t exceed government income as a long run objective. The Republican Party has weaponized
09:00 AM - Aug 08, 2023
Widge
B
In response to Bill Howard.
So to your point, the last time that principle was used was when Clinton (D) balanced the budget in his second term?
09:46 AM - Aug 08, 2023
vibeulator
A
In response to Widge.
It's almost as if "Conservative" principles are used to align and control the populace, and increase the bottom line of moneyed interests...and that's it.
08:10 AM - Aug 08, 2023
Lisa W FirstWave
A
In response to Widge.
I can’t think of any time either!!!
08:07 AM - Aug 08, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}