Diane Turner
A
thread 1/8
20 years ago and shot on film. Me and new friends I met on the road while solo backpacking. This picture is from the Khong River on the Thailand Myanmar border. The rest of the story you’ll find in #AltText

#DailyPictureTheme
@DailyPictureTheme
10:55 PM - Aug 08, 2023
Diane Turner
A
thread 2/8
I think one of the reasons this photo means something to me (along w so many from the 6 months I was away,.. and just 4 months after 9/11 which rocked my world with trauma and sent me on a new trajectory. (Correction- 21 years) I had to get away but was one of the few Americans on the road….
11:38 PM - Aug 08, 2023
Diane Turner
A
thread 3/8
I was looking for meaning and goodness. Jobs disappeared in the aftermath. So I subletted my apartment, Found an airline consolidator for crazy cheap airfare. And budgeted living on $10’s a day. These women from Sydney and Italy bonded w my for life, We had no cell phones. Spotty internet cafes…
11:42 PM - Aug 08, 2023
Diane Turner
A
thread 4/8
And no plans from day to day. Just made it up by hearing about random towns and experience by word of mouth, My whole life perspective changed. And I learned about kindness and joy from the SE Asian people who had nothing.: no running water.., no electricity… deep jungle hill tribes ..,
11:46 PM - Aug 08, 2023
Diane Turner
A
thread 5/8
Who took us into there homes and served us simple rice pattie’s and grain rice alcohol called lao lao in their thatched bamboo homes, They taught us to cook curries to and to collect river weed and catch river fish. zi felt inspired and reset priorities, ai may have smoked opium w a medicine women.
11:50 PM - Aug 08, 2023
Diane Turner
A
thread 6/8
But mostly I felt fierce and brave and strong and feminist, And got to spend time with bad ass wanderlusters who wanted to be one with the people and make connections and understand and respect our differences. It was a challenge and a dream. And I appreciated the empathy of my grief.
11:55 PM - Aug 08, 2023
Diane Turner
A
thread 7/8
Mark Twain is a hero of mine. He was an ENFP like me, z curious wanting to be authentic, and meld w the mystery of the world .., reinventing himself to experience all he could, He lived a fascinating live where he observed, and learned. He wrote my favorite quote that the everyone should read.
12:00 AM - Aug 09, 2023
Diane Turner
A
thread 8/8
So I will close on this genius quote:

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”
12:02 AM - Aug 09, 2023
Deborah Conway
A
In response to Diane Turner.
I absolutely agree, if you allow yourself to be open to new experiences travel is a wonderful😍🥰.
07:40 AM - Aug 09, 2023
Tom G. Hughes
A
In response to Diane Turner.
"Fierce Di," indeed.
12:25 AM - Aug 09, 2023
Diane Turner
A
In response to Tom G. Hughes.
That is what my Jim used to call me. 🥰
07:53 AM - Aug 09, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}