Jess Martin
A
thread 1/13
This thread is for @noblerot because there's heaps of #truffle photos.

And to the rest of the gang because you like being tagged 😘 @minnie Look how hairy the truffle is! Did you know they're hairy?

@josefkonrad @hereforthepopcorn @anndraulans @sstan99 @giordana #TruffleSeason #truffles #Truffes
07:23 PM - Aug 09, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 2/13
Shout out first to the #truffiere - it's called #Ganymede Truffles and it is named after the constellation. I think your hubby would like this truffle farm @bron1us - the owners are space fans. They see constellations inside their truffles.

https://www.ganymedetruffl...
07:25 PM - Aug 09, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 3/13
Because we're not French (and thank goodness for that) but we like to get the best of French things - namely wine and food @anndraulans (except for #FoieGras - we still haven't mastered that), the #TruffleHunt was conducted very sedately through farmed inoculated hazelnut and oak trees @noblerot
07:26 PM - Aug 09, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 4/13
This was the first #truffle found and it's quite a small thing but probably just a bit over 10 grams. Come to think of it, it looks like the truffle I bought after the hunt.

Well there you go @minnie - pick your own truffle.
07:28 PM - Aug 09, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 5/13
So this photo thread should be read along with the videos I posted for you. 24 videos @Minnie ! 24!!! And they all work! Here you go again bear https://www.youtube.com/pl...

Except there was wind in the background of the videos - cold winter etc.
07:30 PM - Aug 09, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 6/13
This is David. He is the patriarch of the family. Zazu is the truffle dog and he was so friendly to all of us.

David would dig around while Zazu takes the lead to find the truffles. Dog noses are far superior than human ones and Zazu would scent the truffles that don't even give off any aroma.
07:32 PM - Aug 09, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 7/13
I think the bond between truffle hunter and dog is such a special and close one. If you like going out into the countryside with your dog, buy a truffle farm @josefkonrad @noblerot

Truffle hunting will get you some exercise, fresh air and some great condiment to your dishes. @bron1us @minnie
07:34 PM - Aug 09, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 8/13
This was the whopper of the truffle hunt.

Look how massive this truffe is! Probably weighed around 100 grams. Of course if you're French you'd sell the truffle as is with dirt and all (more about that dodginess later) but here the industry has decided to sell CLEAN truffles only @minnie @noblerot
07:36 PM - Aug 09, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 9/13
@minnie @anndraulans @hereforthepopcorn @joannasays @giordana When we were passing the freshly dug truffles around, we couldn't believe how hairy these things were...I mean hairy truffles? Big hairy bits and small fine ones.

You'd have found it amusing bear because your mind tends that way.
07:38 PM - Aug 09, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 10/13
I decided to take a photo of the truffle on the ground @minnie

Dunno why because it blends into the grass. But yes, imagine getting up one day and tripping over one.
07:39 PM - Aug 09, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 11/13
@noblerot So they discussed with us the grading of truffles and I suppose the rounder the shape the better it is - because it's all about the aesthetics with truffles @minnie

But if you're a real foodie, you'd want the aroma over the aesthetics. @hereforthepopcorn
07:40 PM - Aug 09, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 12/13
@noblerot And one final shot of a freshly dug truffle.

The hunt bit took nearly 90 minutes in the cold and wind. There is a lot of getting down and dirty involved @josefkonrad @doajim

If you like playing in the mud and digging around dirt, maybe a #truffiere is the way to go. Hint, hint.
07:42 PM - Aug 09, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 13/13
minnine Last shot of the truffle grove with the bare trees. As you can see, they're not too mature so walking in the truffle forest will take at least decades for this truffiere such is the nature of trees.

And thus endeth the truffle hunt @sstan99 @noblerot @hereforthepopcorn
07:44 PM - Aug 09, 2023
Russell Wingard
A
In response to Jess Martin.
Beautiful...was that the biggest one on the day?

Edit: nevermind. I just saw the 100-gram truffle.
09:58 PM - Aug 10, 2023 (Edited)

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}