ChristyK
A
thread 1/5
For the last year I've been mainly reading 19th century British history. Now I'm moving back into reading ancient Israelite history. I'm starting reading Theodore Lewis' 1000 page book on the Origins and Character of God.
10:00 AM - Aug 11, 2023
ChristyK
A
thread 2/5
Even just the intro where he reviews previous literature and methodology delights me. I love the history of how thoughts changed. I love looking at how thoughts and ideas changed... the different pitfalls of beliefs people fell into.
10:01 AM - Aug 11, 2023
ChristyK
A
thread 3/5
As 19th century scholars started to recognize that the Bible was not the word of God and how some stories were related to other myths and cultures, they ran into all sorts of questions. Some wanted to continue to see the Bible as a progression, an improvement on the other cultures.
10:02 AM - Aug 11, 2023
ChristyK
A
thread 4/5
As they started to recognize that different parts of the Bible were written at different times, they asked whether the religion had been improved or corrupted. When later Biblical writers contradicted earlier ones, which spoke the word of God? Some of this led to horrible anti-Semitism.
10:04 AM - Aug 11, 2023
ChristyK
A
thread 5/5
I don't take any of the Bible as the word of God. Part of what I do in my free time is teach teenagers about the Biblical scholarship as a way of challenging Christian exceptionalism. I want to explore the Biblical text in its context. Not as something unique or divine.
10:05 AM - Aug 11, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}