2. It usually gets better on its own
3. Rarely is imaging needed
4. A small bit of rest is fine, but motion is lotion
5. We often can’t find a specific cause - learn to be okay with that
10:20 AM - Feb 20, 2023
PS Annie
A
In response to Mark Kubert, DC.
6. Keep moving at all costs. Move through the pain, even if you can only move a little. Inertia is not your friend when it comes to back pain.
09:57 AM - Jul 29, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
In response to PS Annie.
I totally get the sentiment, but I wouldn’t go with at all costs. There are times/conditions for when rest really is warranted. But certainly not to the extent we’ve been traditionally advised.
10:05 AM - Jul 29, 2023
Jen The Muse
A
I was ok with my persistent back pain. Then I got a 104.7 degree fever that sent me back to the doctor...yeah kidney infection. No pain anywhere but my back.
09:55 AM - Jul 29, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
In response to Jen The Muse.
I’m glad you were able to get it figured out.
09:59 AM - Jul 29, 2023
Kate Branden
A
Doctors need to be the ones okay with #5 and admit that to their patients, rather than implying its all in the patient's head or shrugging their shoulders.
10:59 AM - Feb 20, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
In response to Kate Branden.
I’m with you on that. Humility in what we know (and don’t) coupled with a partnership approach as opposed to a top down relationship, helps improve understanding both sides.
11:03 AM - Feb 20, 2023
April Miller
A
This is horribly demoralizing for chronic back pain sufferers. I've had horrific back pain since having my kid almost 9 years ago. I've gone from being a regular marathoner to not being able to run a mile due to the pain. Drs have either thrown pain meds at me or just shrugged their shoulders.
10:51 AM - Feb 20, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
In response to April Miller.
April, I’m sorry for your experience. And you bring up an important point: while my post is in regards to the most common kinds of back pain, chronic pain is something else entirely, and needs to be addressed/managed as the serious, separate issue that it is.
10:58 AM - Feb 20, 2023
Terry Calvert
A
Motion is lotion! Amen. I’ve been a worker dude for 45 years. This is true words. Keep moving everyone.
10:27 AM - Feb 20, 2023
MsFahrenheit
A
omg. the motion is lotion is soooo true. 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
10:26 AM - Feb 20, 2023
MsFahrenheit
A
In response to MsFahrenheit.
I should add this isn't a pervy comment but I've noticed stretching and yoga are almost essential.
10:48 AM - Feb 20, 2023
PS Annie
A
In my experience, it almost never "gets better on its own". It often gets better without medical intervention, but it typically requires exercise or physical therapy, and long-term maintenance.
10:26 AM - Feb 20, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
In response to PS Annie.
Without medical intervention is a good distinction. And yes, even for those who only require a conservative approach, there is a varying spectrum of ways to manage.
10:47 AM - Feb 20, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}