Jess Martin
A
thread 1/9
This is the last of my truffle thread from our #TruffleHunt weekend (woo hoo says @minnie ).

So, my friend Stan (short for Stanislaw) contacted me THE NIGHT BEFORE THE TRUFFLE HUNT.

@giordana @hereforthepopcorn @noblerot @josefkonrad @sstan99 @apfel_sarah @anndraulans @joannasays @doajim @bron1us
08:13 PM - Aug 10, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 2/9
Stan: You're truffle hunting?
Me: Yes, a bit late for you though.
SO: He can take my place.
Me: Hell no. Liz (his wife) would never forgive him.

So we agreed to lunch.

@giordana @hereforthepopcorn @noblerot @josefkonrad @sstan99 @apfel_sarah @minnie @anndraulans @joannasays @doajim @bron1us
08:15 PM - Aug 10, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 3/9
Two days after our #TruffleHunt , Stan came over for lunch. I cooked mushroom risotto, with lots of butter, as my truffle had impregnated the arborio with its aroma.

@giordana @hereforthepopcorn @noblerot @josefkonrad @sstan99 @apfel_sarah @minnie @anndraulans @joannasays @doajim @bron1us
08:20 PM - Aug 10, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 4/9
Here is the truffle-impregnated arborio in my multi-cooker. Wish I had more mushrooms, like the wild ones (but that's another season - autumn after the rains).

08:21 PM - Aug 10, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 5/9
I love my multi-cooker because it has a risotto setting. So I don't have to watch over it - it's set and forget. This is me stirring it after it was cooked.

08:23 PM - Aug 10, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 6/9
I used pre-made, pre-grated pizza cheese so that it would blend well with the cooked risotto.

08:24 PM - Aug 10, 2023 (Edited)
Jess Martin
A
thread 7/9
Looking back now, I forgot to add some dry white wine to the mix.

Anyway, here's the outcome - creamy, cheesy mushroom risotto

08:26 PM - Aug 10, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 8/9
Getting the table ready for the truffle shaving (in a jar with some uncooked arborio). We also had a bottle of the Pastoralist (review from weeks back).

08:28 PM - Aug 10, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 9/9
SO talked too much to Stan, so by the time we sat to eat the risotto, it cooled and turned yellow. Ugh.

But there we go. Thus endeth my #truffle threads for this season LOL

08:30 PM - Aug 10, 2023
Jess Martin
A
I have never found them anywhere in the world except in Galicia hence I have a hankering for them, We have a form of goose barnacle here but they're not in that shape or meat form as the percebes.

Northern Spain is fantastic: cider, wine, seafood. Did you try the egg tarts at Belem?
In response to Travel Buff.
10:23 PM - Aug 12, 2023
Russell Wingard
A
In response to Jess Martin.
I have never had percebes, but have seen barnacles once or twice on a menu here in Oregon. Apparently gooseneck barnacles are native to Oregon but either their quality is inferior or Oregonians haven't discovered them (yet).

@RobertoV
Eating barnacle - Oregon coast foraging (赶海) - YouTube

First time cooking and eating Gooseneck barnacle from the Oregon coast. Beachcombing and harvesting is also quite fun.第一次烹饪和吃俄勒冈州海岸的鹅颈藤壶。

10:33 PM - Aug 13, 2023
Jess Martin
A
In response to Russell Wingard.
Wow! That's amazing You have them!!! The Galician ones are sweet-salty so I suspect yours would taste of the Pacific there. It's a hazard getting the percebes from the rocks. The Galicians would be so jealous. They cost around 100 euros per kilo and they're just growing wild there! @albertopastor
11:20 PM - Aug 13, 2023
Travel Buff
A
In response to Jess Martin.
Probably your best bet is to look for 'conservas'. Those are various seafood items in tins. Huge In Portugal, especially, where they have entire stores devoted to conservas. I'm positive I saw a tin of percebes. My daughter found Galician pulpo. I'll check. Been to the Belem tart place a few times.
10:36 PM - Aug 12, 2023
Jess Martin
A
In response to Travel Buff.
You gotta post photos on here - and let us salivate.

And join the #WineClub with tasting notes and photos. It's like travelling around the world.
11:00 PM - Aug 12, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}