Christopher Bouzy
A
thread 1/2
Please avoid sharing opinions that, while they may not violate our terms of service/rules, could still be offensive and extremely hurtful to others. Additionally, if you choose to share such views, it's unreasonable to criticize others for responding in kind.
10:15 AM - Aug 19, 2023
Christopher Bouzy
A
thread 2/2
For example, spouting "I don't date fat women" or " I think all women belong in the kitchen" doesn't violate our terms of service or rules, but it's still offensive. You can expect people to have strongly worded replies. It doesn't mean Spoutible is toxic; it means you said something stupid.
10:22 AM - Aug 19, 2023
Connell McGrath
A
I respectfully disagree. If someone says something ignorant or stupid, it is still our responsibility to respond with restraint. Point out to error without “responding in kind.” If
we want a community built on kindness, that ought to extend to all corners.
In response to Christopher Bouzy.
10:30 AM - Aug 19, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
In response to Connell McGrath.
Connelly, I also learned that it is not ok to watch someone else get unfairly bullied or attacked on social media. If you see something then say something to help the other person with as much calmness and positivity as you can. If abuse continues, report the offense. We are all brethren.
10:57 AM - Aug 19, 2023
Connell McGrath
A
In response to Cynthia Williams.
Thank you Cynthia.
11:14 AM - Aug 19, 2023
Kat Schneider
A
👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
12:55 PM - Aug 19, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
Connelly, the tips that I learned for addressing hateful messages:

1. Take a a few secs to breathe.
2. Re-read the comment. Could it be meant in jest or as sarcasm?
3. Let the person know that their message was not okay.
4. Ask the person to not repeat the offense.
5. BLOCK if repeated.
10:52 AM - Aug 19, 2023
Iz Here
A
... also, if the spout in question isn't directed specifically to you but is something you find generally offensive, check the date: some spouts depend on their temporal contexts and @Spoutible & some users repost or echo items from many months prior. Sometimes context matters.
12:10 PM - Aug 19, 2023
Sam Fisher
A
Sometimes that's not enough. Even explaining with tact and decorum people will still be a**holes. It may be what the understand.
10:43 AM - Aug 19, 2023
Connell McGrath
A
In response to Sam Fisher.
I get that. Restraint is hard. But The point of kindness isn’t to get someone to change. It’s to be kind. If they keep being abusive, that’s on them. All that said, the high road doesn’t always feel good. Thank you Sam.
04:49 PM - Aug 19, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}