South Cackalacky Scholar
A
thread 1/4
I see sentiments like this a lot & I get it. But folks are asking for the impossible.

Bottom line— what was special about Twitter is over & never coming back.

People are going to have to accept that & stop trying to bring the dead back to life.
Shmarya Rosenberg @Shmarya
Christopher,

🧵Without news outlets and academics, there’s little reason for Twitter’s base to be here. Which is why they aren’t. Same is true for smaller groups like various ethnic Twitters, tech Twitters, etc. If interesting leaders don’t migrate here, the followers won’t, either.…1/
04:33 PM - Aug 19, 2023
06:42 AM - Aug 20, 2023
South Cackalacky Scholar
A
thread 2/4
The “hot takes from journalists” experience was def cool, but substacks & subscriptions are actually how you support news— letting SM be the gatekeeper only fattens the bottom line of a parasitic collection of comic book villains who are feeding off of the news AND us while our democracy teeters.
06:50 AM - Aug 20, 2023
South Cackalacky Scholar
A
thread 3/4
@cbouzy is always saying this & maybe people will listen, maybe they’ll keep chasing what’s irrevocably over, but for the folks in back: We’re building something new at @Spoutible . It might look vaguely X-like, but the feel is completely different.
06:56 AM - Aug 20, 2023
South Cackalacky Scholar
A
thread 4/4
I don’t know about you but I like not standing in a firehose of hate just to see what Steve Schmidt or Joy Reid had to say today. I like it just fine.
06:57 AM - Aug 20, 2023
DrMHasOpinions
A
In response to South Cackalacky Scholar.
Oh the firehose of hate was for REAL. Taking hate from strangers was something I hope I never have to experience again. BUT. If the firehose is directed at marginalized people, then I will jump in as needed.
02:36 PM - Aug 20, 2023
South Cackalacky Scholar
A
In response to DrMHasOpinions.
Oh but I learned to dish it back, too. That was the problem.

Isn’t there a saying about never getting down in the mud to fight a pig because the pig likes it & all you get is dirty?

And when you really think about it, they manipulated the whole thing with the algorithm. SMH. Should be illegal.
03:30 PM - Aug 20, 2023
Kate ChinaKatWrites
A
I didn’t follow the talking heads so much. But I did like the headlines coming in fast.
10:19 AM - Aug 20, 2023
NTropy Sellers
A
Yeah, my anxiety's down since I left the dead bird. I like the "firehose of hate" term. I always called the bird site "an outrage factory". Weaving through so many posts that makes one's core being angry, just to get to some objective news? It was always difficult.
08:31 AM - Aug 20, 2023 (Edited)
South Cackalacky Scholar
A
In response to NTropy Sellers.
Child! I had NO idea how much it was affecting my mental health. People are adding years to their lifespans when they get off that merry go round. But you can’t tell folks—they have to break the addiction all on their own to see it.
08:48 AM - Aug 20, 2023
Alexander J. McKinley, QBE
A
Xitter is a cesspool of hate and vitriol now as per L'il Elon's design.
It's simply not worth the effort anymore.
08:12 AM - Aug 20, 2023
Jennifer Moore Baker
A
This exactly. I have stopped wading through the cesspool to check my favorite follows on T/X. I have signed up for sub stacks and podcasts that fill the gap nicely. I am loving the back and forth interaction on this site, and I don’t think that can happen with the big accounts.
07:52 AM - Aug 20, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}