George Steffanos
A
thread 1/7
40 years ago today: After a steep scramble up a rockslide, the trail broke out of the forest onto open rocks and ledges along the ridge crest with great views southward across the valley.

#backpacking #hiking #outdoors #landscapephotography #Massachusetts #nature #Forests #Mountains #Vermont
09:55 AM - Aug 21, 2023
George Steffanos
A
thread 2/7
The neighboring large towns of North Adams and Williamstown spread out below, covering a broad, relatively flat section of the river valley.
09:55 AM - Aug 21, 2023
George Steffanos
A
thread 3/7
Mount Greylock rose massively as a backdrop to the south, and westward I could make out a northern spur of the Taconics. A short while later, another climb brought me to a spot called Eph’s Lookout with similar views.
09:58 AM - Aug 21, 2023
George Steffanos
A
thread 4/7
After the second lookout, the #AppalachianTrail followed a level stretch of ridge crest. Less than a mile later, I arrived at a Green Mountain Club trail register. I was at the Vermont state line and the southern terminus of the Long Trail.
George Steffanos
A
thread 5/7
With more than 1500 miles and about three-and-a-half months of walking behind me, I had arrived in northern New England at last.

More of My 1983 #AppalachianTrail Hike in Photos at https://www.georgesteffanos.com/places-i-ve-been
George Steffanos
A
thread 6/7
Kept getting a strange error attempting to add ALT text for pic on spout 3, so: We are standing on a rocky ledge atop a mountain, looking down over the treetops at a long, broad valley hundreds of feet below. This portion of the valley is mostly green farm fields and broad swaths of trees.
10:00 AM - Aug 21, 2023
George Steffanos
A
thread 7/7
There are rural lanes, several small clusters of homes and farm buildings, and a small pond with a little dock just below us.
11:20 AM - Aug 21, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}