Chris to my friends … and that’s you
A
thread 1/2
As an immigrant to the U.S. quite a while ago, I had learned relatively little about its history. So I read stuff, like we all do, that was supposed to be history. It wasn’t, of course. It was WP history.
I recommend this book: “A People’s History of the United States” by Howard Zinn. This is real.
12:52 PM - Aug 24, 2023
A
thread 2/2
From the European’s arrival, the Native population, slavery, women’s rights, and rich power hungry white men.
Many of my preconceptions were eliminated.
This country was born this way. The founding documents were created solely to benefit the elite. The middle class was built to protect the elite…
04:35 PM - Aug 24, 2023
Arthur Grupp
A
In response to Chris to my friends … and that’s you.
Also a great and true American history book. Loved Zinn. Jill Lapore leaves no stones unturned.
12:38 PM - Sep 11, 2023
A
In response to Arthur Grupp.
Thank you! I will read this too. The history of the US is incredibly nasty and bloody - so I’ll wait before I read the next horror story.
These white men were simply appalling human beings. There were some exceptions, but they were rare.
Sometimes wonder what _I_ would have been like, back then.
12:57 PM - Sep 11, 2023
Reece Martin
A
Excellent book! Here's the thing: the vast majority of Americans believe in the promise of the United States. They've worked & fought for their country, raised families & fought for them. There are lots of really wonderful Americans. There are also wealthy people trying to bring back a caste system.
01:30 AM - Sep 07, 2023
Deanna (@LadyDi) of Love Wins Movement
A
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
01:56 AM - Sep 01, 2023
NorthCoast TerryMerryJoan
A
💯 Great recommendation!
12:58 PM - Aug 24, 2023
A
In response to NorthCoast TerryMerryJoan.
It is a shocking book. From page 1.
When you look at the US, after reading the book, realizing that every really bad thing we experience here was deliberately planted, and often centuries ago.
01:13 PM - Aug 24, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}