Chris to my friends … and that’s you
A
thread 1/2
As an immigrant to the U.S. quite a while ago, I had learned relatively little about its history. So I read stuff, like we all do, that was supposed to be history. It wasn’t, of course. It was WP history.
I recommend this book: “A People’s History of the United States” by Howard Zinn. This is real.
12:52 PM - Aug 24, 2023
A
thread 2/2
From the European’s arrival, the Native population, slavery, women’s rights, and rich power hungry white men.
Many of my preconceptions were eliminated.
This country was born this way. The founding documents were created solely to benefit the elite. The middle class was built to protect the elite…
04:35 PM - Aug 24, 2023
A
Thank you! I will read this too. The history of the US is incredibly nasty and bloody - so I’ll wait before I read the next horror story.
These white men were simply appalling human beings. There were some exceptions, but they were rare.
Sometimes wonder what _I_ would have been like, back then.
In response to Arthur Grupp.
12:57 PM - Sep 11, 2023
Travel Buff
A
In response to Chris to my friends … and that’s you.
Well, tbh, we all would be like that. We breathe the air of our time. The zeitgeist of that time was racist. Europeans colonized the world thinking they were superior.
We judge our predecessors by our standards. In many cases that's valid. But remember, our zeitgeist is also racist, self-absorbed.
08:19 PM - Sep 24, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}