Jacob Sammon
A
#RoaldDahl books are being edited to remove offensive language and be more inclusive, sparking censorship backlash.

UK PM Sunak: “We shouldn’t gobblefunk around with words.”
Salmon Rushdie: “Roald Dahl was no angel but this is absurd censorship. Puffin Books and the Dahl estate should be ashamed.”
12:21 PM - Feb 21, 2023 (Edited)
Antonio Robinson
A
In response to Jacob Sammon.
I’m not a fan of this type of censorship whatsoever. Language and its usage teaches us where we were and are as a society. Changing it to appease modern times or to make it more palatable is disingenuous and only obscures the writer.
01:28 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Jacob Sammon
A
It’s a bad look, and potentially sets up a dangerous precedent moving forward. I don’t want books to bring people harm, but it’s important to be able to reflect on what was/was not acceptable versus what is/is not acceptable now.
In response to Antonio Robinson.
04:25 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Antonio Robinson
A
In response to Jacob Sammon.
There is no end to what'll offend people. Allowing revisions (posthumous mind you) to a book to pacify a modern audience sets the stage for a new kind of intolerance. If the language is so egregious, let the book remain as is and people will make up their own minds to read or not read the book.
05:52 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Jacob Sammon
A
In response to Antonio Robinson.
Yes exactly! Perhaps including a warning or a note at the beginning of the text to let readers know in advance to prepare themselves for what lies ahead might be better suited? I’m not sure…
10:04 PM - Feb 21, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}