Honey and pepper and roses en déshabillé
A
Woke has a specific meaning and history. It's not about kindness nor the Golden Rule. "Stay woke" was a message of warning & solidarity between Black Americans, staking out the real and specific dangers for generations.

Being woke meant being aware of sundown towns, lynching, racist police & more.
E.G. for Example @EricGrevstad
It's Republican Enemy No. 1 nowadays, but "woke" is ancient and simple: Be kind and treat people the way you'd like to be treated, i.e., do unto others as you'd have them do unto you. Generations of kids were taught it as the Golden Rule. Today's Republicans demand to be bigoted assholes instead.
09:14 AM - Jun 10, 2023
01:19 AM - Aug 27, 2023
E.G. for Example
A
In response to Honey and pepper and roses en déshabillé.
You're right. People should know the word's truth. But when Ron DeSantis jeers about "woke," which he's done up to 6 times in 20 seconds, he isn't condemning Blacks warning each other about white violence. He's condemning the treatment of Blacks as fellow human beings. That's what I was criticizing.
12:08 AM - Aug 28, 2023
A
In response to E.G. for Example.
The thing is, he WANTS people to lose sight of the meanings of things. His destruction of educational standards demonstrates that. So don't fall for it - he's peeling away even people who want to be allies by muddying the waters.
07:45 AM - Aug 28, 2023
E.G. for Example
A
As I spouted earlier, you're 100% right on the Black vernacular origins of "woke." It doesn't exonerate me, but I was using the word in and referring to the way it's used by Republican politicians. https://spoutible.com/thre...
09:55 PM - Aug 27, 2023
DJohnRowinski
A
I follow Bear Maiden on Hellsite and Insta. Her father William Melvin Kelly was one of those credited with its early use. His Different Drummer novel was stunning
09:52 PM - Aug 27, 2023
Suzanne
B
Thank you for sharing. I did not know this.
07:50 PM - Aug 27, 2023
A
In response to Suzanne.
Thank you for "hearing" it - there's been a lot of misdirection about what woke means, and that's occluded its association with mortal danger. Losing sight of that is itself dangerous. Colonizing the term is just as bad.
07:54 PM - Aug 27, 2023
Dan Anderson
A
Exactly. And that's why it's so offensive that DeSantis et al are preaching it. They know exactly who they're aiming. at.
02:01 PM - Aug 27, 2023
Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
This disgusted me. Is he serious? This is why white people need to leave the shit they know nothing about alone. A quick Google search could've told him how clueless, tone deaf, and naive this would sound.
01:43 AM - Aug 27, 2023
A
In response to Acey Deecey 🚀🚀.
There are some ubiquitous memes cultivating this kind of misapprehension, and we ypipo are eager for things to be easily digestible. My experience of e.g. is, he's probably teachable, so I replied and quoted the same thing.

Some stuff isn't mine--the word woke, the label ally. Hands off is the way.
01:48 AM - Aug 27, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}