Jacob Sammon
A
#RoaldDahl books are being edited to remove offensive language and be more inclusive, sparking censorship backlash.

UK PM Sunak: “We shouldn’t gobblefunk around with words.”
Salmon Rushdie: “Roald Dahl was no angel but this is absurd censorship. Puffin Books and the Dahl estate should be ashamed.”
12:21 PM - Feb 21, 2023 (Edited)
Carla Reid + Chilla
A
In response to Jacob Sammon.
I read a lot. I have read many older books that make me cringe and rail at the language and the racism, the way people are treated in some stories. But that is just it, those words make me think, and they make me not want to be that way. What advantage is gained by changing older fictional books?
12:35 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Jacob Sammon
A
In response to Carla Reid + Chilla.
This is what I keep coming back to. In a way, cringe can be good bc it’s a marker of growth (hopefully). It’s important to reflect how things were at one point in time to prevent it from recurring. It sets a scary precedent for censorship in the future. I’d never want a book to hurt someone, though
04:23 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Carla Reid + Chilla
A
In response to Jacob Sammon.
I feel this is such a big subject to discuss in a tiny space. Not that the internet is tiny, but it still lacks the nuances of face-to-face. I don't like censorship at all. I also don't like that people can spew their hate, but then if that was curtailed what may I not be able to say?
05:01 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Jacob Sammon
A
I am 1000% in agreement; and you’re totally right… this concept is so nuanced it’s next to impossible to adequately discuss it in 300 characters (let alone 140 over on the bird)
In response to Carla Reid + Chilla.
10:02 PM - Feb 21, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}