Michael Patrick Walker
A
Okay, let's see if we can get some #MusicalTheatre discussions going on this thing. Favorite/Best musicals of all time. It's difficult when styles have changed so many ways and times, so you're not limited to one. I definitely have to put Into The Woods on my list. Thoughts? #Broadway
08:01 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Garth Gersten
A
In response to Michael Patrick Walker.
Favorite: A Chorus Line and Come From Away
I want to see a good production of Man of La Mancha because, on paper, it it is a favorite, but every production I have seen is a disappointment.
08:43 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Michael Patrick Walker
A
In response to Garth Gersten.
A Chorus Line is like that for me. On paper it’s amazing and even listening to it but when I’ve seen productions it’s dragged on too long. Don’t know La Mancha well at all and never drawn to CFA but k Ie many people like it a great deal
09:15 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Garth Gersten
A
I saw A Chorus Line in LA in 1977. It was amazing. The “Paul” monologue is nearly word for word the story of Nicholas Dante who is credited as co-writer of the book.
10:15 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Michael Patrick Walker
A
I think a lot of the issue with Chorus Line is this: if the actors really connect and bring to life the characters - like the originals clearly must have - it's brilliant. If they don't, then it can fall flat. The writing is brilliant but it lives or dies by the performers
In response to Garth Gersten.
10:31 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Garth Gersten
A
True - ACL is about connecting with the individual stories - and feeling the desperation of the characters to be an anonymous member of a line - which is the irony (and Bennett intended it to be horror) that the individuals you have connected with are indistinguishable in their gold lame kickline
10:48 PM - Feb 21, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}