Professor Kyle
A
When you went to high school, was there some kind of official or unofficial hazing of freshmen? What did it consist of?
Professor Kyle @blackcatprose
Melissa & I were just talking about how when in HS in the early 90s (she graduated '91, me '94) the 1st day of the school year we gathered in the gym for the upper-classes to boo the freshmen. My guess is this school-sanctioned bullying was done to tone down more serious hazing of older times.
08:54 PM - Aug 28, 2023
09:02 PM - Aug 28, 2023
hmmwrites (Heather's version)
A
In response to Professor Kyle.
Yikes!

I also graduated in '94. Bullying happened (with some serious assault sprinkled in), but full-on hazing? Eh. Every year, some upperclassmen would send a bunch of freshmen looking for the 3rd floor pool. We had no pool. It was pretty tame, as hazing went.
11:41 PM - Aug 28, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
That happened for us too – Melissa just told a story of hearing an upperclasser telling a freshman to take the elevator...although our school was all 1 floor. That stuff was mild.
11:43 PM - Aug 28, 2023
hmmwrites (Heather's version)
A
In response to Professor Kyle.
Oh yeah, definitely mild.

I think an incident my freshman year (vicious racist assault on a senior, damn near killed him) shocked everyone in our high school. People were reeling and I think it made people a touch gentler in the aftermath... Not perfect! But a few rough edges rubbed smooth.
02:35 AM - Aug 29, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}