Margo Green
A
People have failed to consider the implications of displacement due to climate change. As the climate continues to change, some places will become inhabitable. If people can't rebuild, they will have to relocate. The economic cost alone will be astronomical. No to mention the emotional cost.
04:23 PM - Aug 30, 2023 (Edited)
Ground Control
A
In response to Margo Green.
The American Southwest is one such example that comes to mind, as I have that one pegged as becoming one vast solar panel farm. But I also remember (I believe) parts of Venezuela that are already uninhabitable, forcing the residents to flee.
06:18 PM - Aug 30, 2023
Margo Green
A
In response to Ground Control.
I do think we will see more solar in the southwest, but I also think people will attempt to go there from the coastal areas, not realizing the water issues, which will end up displacing them again. It will be interesting to see the migration charts.
06:21 PM - Aug 30, 2023
MariMarina (she/her)
A
In response to Margo Green.
i think a significant number of people have thought of this and concluded 'let them die'

Exibit A: all the walls in Europe, and how systemically the governments prevented sea rescues.
05:08 PM - Aug 30, 2023
Margo Green
A
In response to MariMarina (she/her).
That may be true, but in this country in particular, people seem to believe they can just weather the storms so to speak and keep rebuilding. As for the refugees, I believe that has more to do with racism than climate change.
05:12 PM - Aug 30, 2023 (Edited)

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}