Rep. Jamaal Bowman
A
Queer and gender studies is part of our history, just like Black history, just like latino history, and just like American history.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRnFJ7nc/
10:47 AM - Feb 21, 2023
Brent Maverick
A
In response to Rep. Jamaal Bowman.
History is a collection of recorded events and people.

Q&G Studies are a collection of theories about how gender/sex and, by extension, societies work.

Teaching about LGBTQIA2+ individuals in history is not the same as teaching Q&G studies.

Is this poorly worded or disingenuous?
03:05 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Mel Katie
A
In response to Brent Maverick.
So… teaching about George Washington would not be part of a social studies curriculum?
11:22 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Brent Maverick
A
In response to Mel Katie.
The brevity of your comment is very open-ended... Can you elaborate?
09:09 AM - Feb 22, 2023
Mel Katie
A
I’m confused why teaching about particular lgbt figures would not be a part of g & q studies? For instance, Marsha P. Johnson. There’s a discussion to be had as how her identity as a trans woman wasn’t made explicit much earlier and the role of anti blackness in whitewashing the stonewall riots..
09:18 AM - Feb 22, 2023
Brent Maverick
A
2) G&Q studies include significant individuals and discuss history, but it deep dives into those theories and reviews history through a specific lens.

Social studies doesn't debate or explain the differences in world views of Muslim versus Christian versus Hindu, or see history thru their lenses
In response to Mel Katie.
09:39 AM - Feb 22, 2023
Mel Katie
A
I don't think we are even talking about the same thing here. I'll leave it at that.
11:36 AM - Feb 22, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}