Dead Ted 💀
A
thread 1/5
I've been fascinated by music taxonomy ever since Jack Black put that chart on the board in School of Rock. The way genres evolve and interact, play off of and against each other, the way non-musical aspects of one movement influences the music of another. Endlessly enthralling.
12:26 PM - Aug 31, 2023
Dead Ted 💀
A
thread 2/5
I once wrote a series of articles about the evolution of metal subgenres. Metal is generally viewed as a mostly-linear progression towards heavier and faster, but that will, at most, get you one step between subgenres. The next step is always something else.
12:29 PM - Aug 31, 2023
Dead Ted 💀
A
thread 3/5
Glam was a way to make NWOBHM more commercial, thrash was an anti-glam aesthetic that informed the music that followed. Doom was a roots movement. After the relatively quiet 90s metal scene, NWOAHM was alt-rock refined through the lens of 80s metal characteristics.
12:37 PM - Aug 31, 2023
Dead Ted 💀
A
thread 4/5
Grunge and drone, as far apart as their final products were, share a LOT of tonal similarities simply by virtue of both genre's pioneers hanging out a lot (Dylan Carlson of Earth was roommates with Kurt Cobain, for example).
12:39 PM - Aug 31, 2023
Dead Ted 💀
A
thread 5/5
I could go on and on, but my lunch break's over. Anyway, the intricacies of genre (especially in music, but also in movies and even visual art) is one of my favorite subjects. Always thrilled to think and talk about it.
12:41 PM - Aug 31, 2023
Kirk Shelton
A
In response to Dead Ted 💀.
Me too. I haven't done the deep dive but holy shit metal subgenres could be a college course. Is there any other genre with that level of splitting up into different types?
12:41 PM - Aug 31, 2023
Lil
A
In response to Kirk Shelton.
Post WW2 jazz, maybe.

Part of what fascinates me about metal is how some fans are pretty strict about which sub-genre(s) they like and which they reject. Maybe more so than fans of other genres?
01:06 PM - Aug 31, 2023
Dead Ted 💀
A
In response to Kirk Shelton.
Jazz and EDM spring to mind. I've seen EDM guys define different genres based solely on 5bpm of tempo difference.
01:22 PM - Aug 31, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}