Cynthia Williams
A
I'm confused by this announcement. Oprah's worth $3.5B. Dwayne "The Rock" is worth $800M. They want millions of Americans to donate to a "People's Fund" paying Luhaina's fire victims $1200/month for 8 months at a cost of $129M. They only gave $10M of their money to the fund. Make it make sense.
06:49 AM - Sep 01, 2023 (Edited)
echo
A
In response to Cynthia Williams.
Net worth doesn't necessarily mean they have that much just sitting in a bank. I doubt most of it is liquid. That's the only thing I can think of. It's a decent start🤷‍♀️
12:54 PM - Sep 01, 2023
J.Nasty Flaming Queer
A
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
12:03 PM - Sep 01, 2023
Erica
A
I never presume to tell anyone how to spend their money (I hate when people do it to me). BUT she’s gone on all the shows touting this and, to your point, gave so little.
08:46 AM - Sep 01, 2023
Sami Lee
A
The same thought came in my head reading this. It’s great, but doesn’t feel quite proportional to the relative wealth involved.
07:39 AM - Sep 01, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
In response to Sami Lee.
If both Oprah and Dwayne split the $129M to support the fire victims, the amount each mogul would provide could be considered no greater than the dust in their wallets. I don't understand why people were quick to say this is an amazing initiative. It isn't.
08:38 AM - Sep 01, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
In response to Sami Lee.
Additionally, Oprah owns 2,000 acres of land on Maui. She could have worked with FEMA, the Biden Administration, and Dwayne to have a tent city quickly installed by the Army Corps of Engineers to provide housing, medical, and mental health care to the Luhaina citizens until they recovered. Why beg?
08:41 AM - Sep 01, 2023
Lauraine Knight
A
Dwayne Johnson has granted hundreds of Make-A-Wish requests on top of donating regularly to everything from animal shelters and the military to his alma mater. Oprah is the same always donating they will attract/encourage other celebrities to donate .
07:04 AM - Sep 01, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
In response to Lauraine Knight.
I will be happy if they can get other billionaires and millionaires to donate, but Oprah didn't say that is who she is targeting to contribute to this fund. She wants average Americans to donate. While we're in an inflationary season. It's not a simple ask.
09:54 AM - Sep 01, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
In response to Lauraine Knight.
Also please know that when wealthy people donate money, it amount and frequency isn't done randomly. I worked with a few wealthy people who have CPAs and tax advisors who help them plan their donations for the largest tax write-offs. Dwayne and Oprah are good to donate, but it helps them too.
10:10 AM - Sep 01, 2023
Donald Davis
A
Thank you.
06:58 AM - Sep 01, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}