Professor Kyle
A
Truth–college degrees get more and more expensive with less $ spent on state university systems (Biden wanted to change that but Repubs, Manchin, & Sinema have stopped it). And folks on the right...& some on the left...attack the value of college when it's the best way to pull people out of poverty.
LilTaiz @LilTaiz
Mind numbing. After too many years of that crap, moved to CA was able to enroll in Community College ($5 per semester for the ID) and then CSU for BA and MA, then the UC for the PhD. Saved my sanity. So much harder for folks to make that shift today. $$$
12:38 PM - Sep 04, 2023
01:15 PM - Sep 04, 2023
Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
In response to Professor Kyle.
When I went to a state school, Bloomsburg University, for college in the late 90s, I remember how shocked we all were that senior year would be just a nudge over $10,000. We'd been a 4 figure school forever. In 2023, it cost $25,000, in state, to attend Bloomsburg.
01:29 PM - Sep 04, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
In response to Acey Deecey 🚀🚀.
Yeah, it's far outpaced inflation without an equal increase in available financial aid. The cost is starting to slow or even shrink a bit, but only because many colleges are struggling, and it's still very high for many.
04:20 PM - Sep 04, 2023
Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
We used to have like 9 schools in the PA State College system. One or two were forced to close, others have consolidated to try and stay open. Bloomsburg is probably the most popular so I don't see student body being a problem for them, but the system has been decimated in the past 2 decades.
04:51 PM - Sep 04, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
I teach at a college in Vermont that, since I started, merged once with another state school & now has merged again with all the state colleges. I actually just read an article about our merger that mentioned the PA system. We're really struggling with enrollment & I never know if I'm going to get a
04:54 PM - Sep 04, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
a contract
04:55 PM - Sep 04, 2023
Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
State schools should be affordable...period. That's what they exist for, so blue collar kids could get an education or so women could become nurses and teachers (Bloomsburg used to be a women's teaching college). If they were affordable retaining students, and faculty, would be easier.
05:04 PM - Sep 04, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
Absolutely. It should be free (based on income). It should truly be a ladder to the middle class & beyond.
05:07 PM - Sep 04, 2023
Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
Exactly. I was the second person in my family to graduate from college. It was a big deal.

Of course they didn't know what a large brick wall corporate America could be for a Black woman. But I received a valuable education at a state school.
06:57 PM - Sep 04, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
Right – as valuable as a degree is, it doesn't alter the deeply ingrained racism that holds people back in every part of society, of course.
07:30 PM - Sep 04, 2023
Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
That's the part that sucks. The American Dream makes you believe that degree will be the great equalizer.
07:33 PM - Sep 04, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}