Luke Arnold
A
thread 1/9
So first day of school yesterday for my two kids (E is 7yo and 2nd grade, M is turning 5yo and pre-K). After E had a rough time in public school 1st grade last year, we put them in a public charter school (hybrid schooling-at-home and 1 half day per week in person cohort class).
09:44 AM - Sep 08, 2023
Luke Arnold
A
thread 2/9
Yesterday afternoon was cohort for both kids. A parent needs to stay on-site or close nearby while the kid(s) are in class. So B (my wife, and the primary schooling-at-home parent) is hanging out at the school's parent center - basically a small hang out space on campus - with a few other parents.
09:49 AM - Sep 08, 2023 (Edited)
Luke Arnold
A
thread 3/9
Context: My wife and I are trying to do "decolonizing, anti-racist, Trauma-Informed, recovering Christian, white" homeschooling family. Some of the families at this charter school seem to be the more traditional, conservative-leaning, evangelical Christian, colonial American, homeschooling families.
09:55 AM - Sep 08, 2023
Luke Arnold
A
thread 4/9
So B and the parents in the hangout room are chatting about what curriculum(s) they chose for their schooling at home. They got to the topic of social studies and American history and several parents were singing the praises of a particular "traditional" American History textbook and...
10:00 AM - Sep 08, 2023
Luke Arnold
A
thread 5/9
... one of the parents parrots a classic "it's so great my kid learns about Christopher Columbus and all the civilized Europeans who came and brought the Word of God to all of the native savages" comment.
10:03 AM - Sep 08, 2023
Luke Arnold
A
thread 6/9
So B says, "Really? Don't you think it's a bit problematic that [history textbook] whitewashes history and doesn't mention that white European colonizers raped and pillaged native/indigenous people and villages? And ignores the culture and traditions of people groups...
10:07 AM - Sep 08, 2023
Luke Arnold
A
thread 7/9
...people groups that have lived on this land, honoring the environment and wildlife and many believing in the Creator themselves for thousands upon thousands of years before the white Christian colonizers arrived?"
10:10 AM - Sep 08, 2023 (Edited)
Luke Arnold
A
thread 8/9
Crickets.
10:11 AM - Sep 08, 2023
Luke Arnold
A
thread 9/9
So I think there are a few families that aren't going to invite us over for dinner anytime soon. 🙂 #parenting #DecolonizingHomeschool #AntiRacism #notowhitewashinghistory #wokeaf
10:15 AM - Sep 08, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}