Spoutible Banned Book Club
A
The #SpoutibleBannedBookClub discussion of #TheBluestEye by Toni Morrison starts now. See the pinned spout on @BannedBookClub for guidelines.

First #TheBluestEyeTalkingPoint

Would you recommend The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison? Why or why not?

#SBBC
12:01 AM - Sep 23, 2023
Pam McSt
A
In response to Spoutible Banned Book Club.
I generally recommend that people read as many banned books as possible, but this one was not one of my favorite books. I think it has some themes that are important to think about, but I also think it might be a difficult read for someone who has experienced abuse.
09:42 PM - Sep 23, 2023
Spoutible Banned Book Club
A
In response to Pam McSt.
There was so much packed into such a fairly short book at just over 200 pages.
09:43 PM - Sep 23, 2023
Trü
A
One of the very best books I ever read in college (circa 1990) at UGA. I still think about it a lot some 30+ years on. It helped shape me into the person I am today, and I hope it continues to do so.
10:26 AM - Sep 23, 2023

Only followers of this user (CarolineCalcote) can see their posts

Angelique Yaich
A
The Bluest Eye is a hard book to read...not just for subject matter, but for emotional upheaval...it's a slow read/it's a reread.
It's also available as an audio with Toni Morrison reading it herself. It adds a layer of understanding to the characters and the humanity of the novel.
09:34 AM - Sep 23, 2023
Elle Cohen
A
In response to Angelique Yaich.
Probably one of the hardest books I have ever read, perhaps bc it rang so true, capturing an experience I haven’t experienced but making it very real and human with all it’s terrible complexity.
09:47 AM - Sep 23, 2023
Janet aka April
A
In response to Angelique Yaich.
Well said. I just finished listening to Viola Davis' memoir "Finding Me." There is a parallel to Percola in the way her early experiences of being harassed and called ugly and worse by the children at school impacted her perception of herself. Viola's story is one of triumph. Percola's is tragic.
09:54 AM - Sep 23, 2023
Dıanna
A
I would definitely recommend it. It's such a well-written story. It reflects so much of the cracks and ripples of our complicated relationship with our past
08:33 AM - Sep 23, 2023
Lora Mitchell
A
It’s one of my favorite books, hands down. Morrison perfectly describes what misognoir does to little Black girls and the ways in which racism, colorism, and in many ways poverty, teaches them to hate themselves.
07:37 AM - Sep 23, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}