Farrah Fazal
A
Nina Simone would have been 90 this week.
Her music moves me. Shakes me. Sees me.
I’d love to hear your favorite Nina songs.

In the mid-1960s Vernon Jordan, the head of the Urban League asked Nina why she wasn’t ‘more active in civil rights’.

“Motherfucker, I am civil rights”-Nina Simone
01:45 PM - Feb 24, 2023
Iz Here
A
In response to Farrah Fazal.
Too many favs to list but one completely changed my (then, young) understanding of music, lyric, & musical performance: Sinnerman.
Grew up in a folk-music house & knew the #weavers version every note. One day, heard #NinaSimone for the 1st time. I could do 10 min on why that take is a must hear.🙏🏽
05:17 PM - Feb 24, 2023
Farrah Fazal
A
I just wanna hear the 10 minute version of this story!!! Thank you for this personal insight—music is enduring and personal for so many of us and it gets into our bones. I love to hear how it hits. I’ll have to go back and listen to the Weavers version! Thank you for that!!
In response to Iz Here.
06:57 PM - Feb 24, 2023
Iz Here
A
Singing that part in counterrhythm is hard. Singing that part w such nuance: damned hard. Singing while playing locked to the countered groove: masterful. Doing all that & bringing that lyric's story to life?
I fell hard at 1st hearing & my appreciation has only grown. She was truly exceptional. /2
09:59 PM - Feb 24, 2023
Iz Here
A
1 small slice: Check the ~10:20 (definitive) version. Note what a tight groove the rhythm section sets up. Nina's piano owns this (always in her recordings). After Verse 1 she sings (to my ear) in polyrhythm against that groove. The lyrical accents tell she's not just singing behind the beat.
/1
09:25 PM - Feb 24, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}