Elijah Manley
A
Gov. Gavin Newsom must appoint Barbara Lee to the U.S. Senate and fulfill his promise to black voters.

I’m troubled by his remarks of appointing a “caretaker” to Dianne Feinstein’s vacant seat, a standard he didn’t apply when appointing Alex Padilla to replace Kamala Harris.
#AppointBarbaraLee !
08:02 PM - Oct 01, 2023 (Edited)
Tasha
A
In response to Elijah Manley.
Senator Butler is free to run for seat in 1 year if she chooses .
04:01 AM - Oct 02, 2023 (Edited)
Elijah Manley
A
In response to Tasha.
And I’ll still be supporting Congresswoman Barbara Lee.
06:54 PM - Oct 02, 2023
Kirk Taylor
A
When he replaced Harris with Padilla there wasn't already a race in progress for her seat. Padilla was a good choice, and so is Butler.
Newsom said he had no say in whether she decides to run for the seat, that it's up to her.
I get why Lee's supporters are upset, but I think it's fair in this case
02:42 AM - Oct 02, 2023

Only followers of this user (susanm) can see their posts

Z R
A
Governor Newsom previously had said that if Senator Feinstein's seat were to become vacant, he would not appoint any of the already-declared pretenders (see attached). Doing so would be tacit endorsement of one of three Democratic party hopefuls and he doesn't want to do that before California...
09:59 PM - Oct 01, 2023 (Edited)
Z R
A
In response to Z R.
voters choose for themselves. Newsom said he would appoint a black woman, not specifically Representative Lee, and there are many qualified possibilities for him to consider. It appears he is poised to make his choice this week.
10:09 PM - Oct 01, 2023
Oongy Noodle
A
The situations are different. When Senator Harris became VP Harris, there wasn't an primary field with three candidates. If Biden/Harris hasn't been elected, she would have remained Senator. Governor Newsome wants the voters to decide in 2024 and doesn't want to put his thumb on the scale.
09:51 PM - Oct 01, 2023
Elijah Manley
A
In response to Oongy Noodle.
Still put his finger on the scale, which isn’t necessarily a horrible thing. Should have done it for Barbara Lee. Especially if he wants to see a black woman in the seat long term. And Brown might not run, I highly doubt she will tbh. But love the insight ! 😊
07:07 PM - Oct 02, 2023
Socio-gen
A
The difference is that Feinstein's seat is up for election in 2024 and already has candidates. Newsom is (wisely) avoiding the appearance of any preference in the upcoming primary.

Harris' term had just under two years to go and no one had declared a run for it. Thus no conflict over who he appt'd.
09:08 PM - Oct 01, 2023
Bethany Garden Witch
B
That’s how it works. It’s temporary and then there’s an election to replace her. It’s always been this way
08:50 PM - Oct 01, 2023
Elijah Manley
A
In response to Bethany Garden Witch.
Yes. However, Newsom is stating he wants a caretaker who won’t run for the seat, something he hasn’t done for Alex Padilla. A new standard.
08:51 PM - Oct 01, 2023
JayGo VOTE BLUE
A
That is all he can do. It is a temporary appointment.
08:43 PM - Oct 01, 2023
Elijah Manley
A
In response to JayGo VOTE BLUE.
Yes but he should not make new standards like “caretaker” when he didn’t do that when appointing Alex Padilla.
08:52 PM - Oct 01, 2023
Richard Ruben
A
The issue is 3 quality & qualified candidates have stepped up to run for her seat. Newsom unfortunately has put himself btw a rock & a hard place with his choice of words. I say, ask former Sen Boxer to be the placeholder & let the election address who the future junior senator from California is.
08:39 PM - Oct 01, 2023
Ben Rodriguez
A
I respectfully disagree. She's an awesome choice. But the voters should decide.
08:09 PM - Oct 01, 2023
Elijah Manley
A
In response to Ben Rodriguez.
The voters could have decided with Alex Padilla as well.
08:19 PM - Oct 01, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}