Bowerydoll
A
thread 1/2
Octavius Catto was a brilliant educator & leader. He became an ancestor today in 1871 after being murdered for daring to vote. His family never received justice. It's criminal that Black folks are still battling for voting rights in 2023, but here we are. Remember Octavius Catto. Keep pushing💪🏾🗳🌊🔥
02:56 PM - Oct 10, 2023
Bowerydoll
A
thread 2/2
02:59 PM - Oct 10, 2023 (Edited)
Suzanne Dillon
A
In response to Bowerydoll.
A powerful memorial to Mr. Catto is located on the south side of Philadelphia’s city hall.
His story plus photos and the story behind the memorial are at associationforpublicart.org/catto
03:11 PM - Oct 17, 2023
Penelope Lowder
A
Reading Democracy In Chains. The author wrote something to the effect that wealthy whites love liberty but hate equality... Their fear in allowing Black Americans to vote was that one day we would shape policy and rule over them.” This is why some folks will do anything to prevent us from voting.
03:33 PM - Oct 10, 2023
Bowerydoll
A
In response to Penelope Lowder.
We can't shout that loud enough from the rooftops, sis. Stone, cold hard facts🖐🏾🔥
03:48 PM - Oct 10, 2023
My Flying Car 2020
A
His church celebrates him every year by non-partisanly educating the public on the franchise of voting and encouraging voter registration. Their O. V. Catto committee does this in his honor. His statue outside Philly's City Hall is the 1st/only of an African American on city property.
03:22 PM - Oct 10, 2023
Bowerydoll
A
In response to My Flying Car 2020.
I swear, sis, I have plans of visiting there when I travel to Philly. He was such an incredible leader. People need to remember him and be inspired by his courage.
03:52 PM - Oct 10, 2023
Derek Croucher
A
It is sad that I grew up in Charleston and was never taught this.
03:04 PM - Oct 10, 2023
Bowerydoll
A
In response to Derek Croucher.
So much truth has been distorted and hidden from us. It's never too late to learn and share the knowledge. He was such an inspiration. I can't elevate him enough. His story has been so neglected 🖐🏾♥️
03:56 PM - Oct 10, 2023
Denise R
A
Look at that, *nothing* has changed in 150 years. Still killing Black folk, still trying to erase our history and deny us our human rights. 🤬
03:01 PM - Oct 10, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}