Susan L
A
thread 1/8
The Census Bureau has announced projects it is considering for 2030 including a “time capsule” message project. I wonder what would I say?
“I’m sorry.
We should have loved each other better.
We should have broken down borders and built bridges
We should have have cared much more about the
08:43 AM - Oct 18, 2023
Susan L
A
thread 2/8
suffering of our fellows at home, and across imaginary borders, and so very much less about the accumulation of dollars and things and competition and attention
We should have used our vast resources and intelligence and wealth to solve the problems that cause great suffering and pain instead of
Susan L
A
thread 3/8
building businesses that put nothing good into the world but generate vast amounts of wealth for very few people, businesses that harm many many people, like online gambling & online media driven by algorithms designed to make us angry & crazy to ensure we scroll & scroll & scroll to keep the ad
Susan L
A
thread 4/8
dollars flowing. Because we cared more about successful businesses than making sure we had healthcare. We cared more about capitalism than democracy. We cared more about controlling people who we didn’t like than feeding hungry children. We cared more about keeping other people down than lifting
Susan L
A
thread 5/8
everyone up. We cared more about the stock market than the workers on the line. We cared more about the billionaires than the unhoused. We cared more about the shooter than the child bleeding to death in the classroom while the police milled around outside, trying to figure out what to
Susan L
A
thread 6/8
do, listening to the gunshots and screams. We cared more about controlling women than the lives of women, we cared more about controlling women than making sure the babies those women want had good, affordable, available prenatal care, postnatal care, and daycare. We cared more about the CEOs than
Susan L
A
thread 7/8
the planet or the workers or ourselves or our children. We cared more about made up threats to sports and bathrooms and religion and other crazy shit than we did about our neighbors and family members who just wanted to live their lives. We hated when we should have loved. We chose badly.
Susan L
A
thread 8/8
We had so many chances, so many opportunities to turn it all around and time after time we failed.
I’m so sorry.
I hope things got better.”
Aoibhe Ni - Yarn Wrangler
A
We did this in Ireland on our last census.

Many people wrote local legends down, their favourite recipe, or a happy memory of a loved one who passed during the pandemic.

Many figured there would be enough people writing their guilt into that half a page, so the rest of us tried to add love & joy.
In response to Susan L.
09:35 AM - Oct 18, 2023 (Edited)

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}