Scott Coach
A
This loophole for public officials to change party after their election to office needs to be addressed. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/democrat-abruptly-switches-parties/ar-AA1iDczz?ocid=socialsh...
04:16 AM - Oct 22, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
Making it illegal to change parties would essentially mandate politicians put party loyalty over all other considerations. And be grossly undemocratic. It's right up there with age/term limits for elected office and the Electoral College for "ideas to fix democracy by making it less democratic".
In response to Scott Coach.
04:37 AM - Oct 22, 2023
Isa-Lee Wolf
A
In response to Anton Brakhage.
I don't think anyone is suggesting making it illegal to ever switch parties. But to do so after being elected is a clear fraud, a bait-and-switch.

We don't allow that anywhere else, and there is a First Amendment exception for fraudulent advertising.
08:15 AM - Oct 22, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
In response to Isa-Lee Wolf.
And I reiterate, characterizing any politician ever switching parties after an election as "fraud" assumes that every one who did so intended to from the start- and categorizes their doing so as a crime. It preclude the possibility of a office holder ever switching parties on principle.
08:08 PM - Oct 22, 2023
Scott Coach
A
They were elected by party affiliation and belief by the voters, therefore during their time serving in office they should not change party. They wait until after their term is over to change party. It’s fraud.
04:55 AM - Oct 22, 2023 (Edited)
Anton Brakhage
A
The label of "fraud" also implies a presumption that any candidate who ever switches parties intended to do so from the start, and ran with intent to deceive. This is historically false.
05:05 AM - Oct 22, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
I even proposed an alternative that would address Trojan horse candidates, leave room for principled defections (how often have we wished more Republicans switched sides over Trump?), and maximize voter choice.
05:09 AM - Oct 22, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
Politicians deceitfully running for one party with intent to switch after being elected is not democratic either, as deception negates the consent of the governed.

I suggest candidates who switch parties be required to run in a special election, allowing voters to decide whether to keep them.
04:40 AM - Oct 22, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
Here's a good rule of thumb: When proposing a solution to "improve" democracy, consider whether your proposed solution would serve to maximize voter choice, or restrict it.
04:42 AM - Oct 22, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}