Scott Coach
A
This loophole for public officials to change party after their election to office needs to be addressed. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/democrat-abruptly-switches-parties/ar-AA1iDczz?ocid=socialsh...
04:16 AM - Oct 22, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
In response to Scott Coach.
Making it illegal to change parties would essentially mandate politicians put party loyalty over all other considerations. And be grossly undemocratic. It's right up there with age/term limits for elected office and the Electoral College for "ideas to fix democracy by making it less democratic".
04:37 AM - Oct 22, 2023
Scott Coach
A
In response to Anton Brakhage.
They were elected by party affiliation and belief by the voters, therefore during their time serving in office they should not change party. They wait until after their term is over to change party. It’s fraud.
04:55 AM - Oct 22, 2023 (Edited)
Anton Brakhage
A
I even proposed an alternative that would address Trojan horse candidates, leave room for principled defections (how often have we wished more Republicans switched sides over Trump?), and maximize voter choice.
05:09 AM - Oct 22, 2023
Scott Coach
A
A principled defection would be a high bar to jump. But we’re talking control of a chamber of govt due to party defections in some cases.
05:16 AM - Oct 22, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
I understand that.

However, I also believe an office holder SHOULD have loyalties higher than to party. Putting party loyalty over all else is at least half of what turned the Republican Party into a fascist part.
05:19 AM - Oct 22, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
Banning party changes would leave only resignation as a means for an office holder to repudiate a party that had lost its way. This would potentially disincentivize doing so. And resigning is also, in some circumstances, a breach of faith with one's constituents and party.
05:20 AM - Oct 22, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}