Lil
A
In case anyone is interested, these Ten Non-Commandments were crowd sourced in a competition run by Lex Bayer and John Figdor, authors of the book “Atheist Mind, Humanist Heart.”

In lieu of alt text, I will include them in this thread.
Tom a.k.a. Charlie’s dad @Tyger7even
My father sent me an archive of his iPhone photos, for safe keeping. Sifting through the thousands of pictures and videos, I ran across this handy guide that he liked and saved sometime in the last few years. As long as I've known him (60+) years, he's lived his life by these rules. Love you, Dad.
02:29 PM - Oct 26, 2023
02:09 PM - Oct 27, 2023
Coherent Marketing
A
In response to Lil.
"Don't be a dick" is a good rule of thumb.
02:19 PM - Oct 27, 2023
Michael Allbritton
A
In response to Lil.
How about we not have any "commandments" at all. Treat everyone with dignity and respect, with compassion and empathy and the rest will follow.
02:16 PM - Oct 27, 2023
Lil
A
In response to Michael Allbritton.
CNN being CNN called them commandments.

The authors and contributors know they are non-commandments. It was an exercise in articulating beliefs.
02:22 PM - Oct 27, 2023
William Turner
A
In response to Lil.
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
02:12 PM - Oct 27, 2023
Lil
A
In response to Lil.
1. Be open-minded and be willing to alter your beliefs with new evidence.

2. Strive to understand what is most likely to be true, not to believe what you wish to be true.

3. The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world.
02:10 PM - Oct 27, 2023
Lil
A
In response to Lil.
4. Every person has the right to control of their body.

5. God is not necessary to be a good person or to live a full and meaningful life.

6. Be mindful of the consequences of all your actions and recognize that you must take responsibility for them.
02:12 PM - Oct 27, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}