Caryl D
A
For everyone who thinks that Mike Johnson reference to 18th Century values is not relevant…

Women in America did not get the right to build credit/get credit cards in their own name without their husband co-signing until the early 1970s (post Nixon)

Think about that for a while!
02:14 PM - Oct 28, 2023
QueensLan
A
In response to Caryl D.
For Women of Color it was even worse.
12:41 AM - Oct 29, 2023
Caryl D
A
In response to QueensLan.
I know the struggles and hardships from friends…but I live in the privilege of my complexion so I cannot experience its full impact
04:42 PM - Oct 29, 2023
Peggy Stuart #FirstWave
A
In response to Caryl D.
You could have your own credit cards if you were single, though. We still need the ERA. I’d like it to happen during my lifetime, please.
04:45 PM - Oct 28, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
In response to Caryl D.
18th Century values:

No gay marriage.
Execution for gay sex.
No no-fault divorce.
Spousal r*pe legal.
No credit cards for women.
No credit cards.
No unions.
No child labour laws.
No votes unless you're a white landowner.
Slavery is legal.

That's what the new Speaker stands for, in his own words.
03:34 PM - Oct 28, 2023
Beverly Brown
A
In response to Caryl D.
Forget getting your tubes tied without your husband’s agreement. No husband? Too bad. No tubal ligation for you.
03:33 PM - Oct 28, 2023
Cynthia
A
In response to Caryl D.
Sign a lease, buy a house, get a union job, work many jobs at all - just going back to 1972 will be awful. Unless you lived it, you can't imagine.
03:20 PM - Oct 28, 2023
Caryl D
A
In response to Cynthia.
Exactly
My parents were willing to send me to college.
I wanted to study anthropology. My father said I could be a teacher, nurse or secretary.
They put in a restricted female dormitory: no men above the first floor.
It was just that way…
06:10 PM - Oct 28, 2023
Barbara Nelsen
A
In response to Caryl D.
Early 70’s I was married, earning more than my spouse but all cards for me were Mrs ___. We divorced & I had to fight for credit in MY name. I got an unsolicited card from an airline (my business at the time) which led to others. My credit is excellent (823 rating), never late or missed a payment.
03:08 PM - Oct 28, 2023
Caryl D
A
In response to Barbara Nelsen.
Exactly!
Divorced women had this credit issue all the time.

Military spouses had to sue Department of Defense to have their husband’s pensions include surviving spouses

Military widows were left destitute before this suit was brought by National Military Family Association
03:14 PM - Oct 28, 2023
Lisa Moorman
A
In response to Caryl D.
All I can think about is that whoever owned me would have the right to sell my children to another plantation. Those 18th century morals include chain migration. With actual chains.
03:05 PM - Oct 28, 2023 (Edited)
Caryl D
A
In response to Lisa Moorman.
It is a fear that resides deep in the soul that cannot be erased.
So many women widowed or abandoned could not own their home, land and whose only option was to many anyone willing to support her…in exchange for household and wifely duties…
06:15 PM - Oct 28, 2023
Carmen Derbedrossian
A
In response to Lisa Moorman.
IMHO she is deeply involved in all the illicit criminal acts as Jared. They are both criminal partners in the arranged marriage for profit.
08:21 PM - Oct 28, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}