Renegade Disciple
A
This is your yearly reminder that Halloween is a Christian holiday. If you don’t celebrate it because of what you think you know about history- don’t let me catch you celebrating Christmas or Easter (ESPECIALLY with Santa or bunnies).

Lighten up, dress up, and pass out some damn candy.
04:06 PM - Oct 27, 2023
Amylouise Donnelly
A
In response to Renegade Disciple.
Polite question. Can you explain Christian origins of Halloween? I ask if someone from home this is a sacred Day related to the end of harvest.

Looking to learn, not to challenge.
04:23 PM - Oct 27, 2023
Renegade Disciple
A
Of course! I appreciate the dialogue.

When I say this- I mean it is a Holiday on the Christian liturgical calendar (All Hallow’s Eve) and has been for centuries longer than our society has existed. THAT is the only reason we know and celebrate it in the modern West.
In response to Amylouise Donnelly.
10:04 PM - Oct 28, 2023
Renegade Disciple
A
Reclaiming traditional Harvest celebrations is something lots of folks are doing in recent times, but much of it is “after the fact” in searching for the foundations of All Hallows. Our awareness of it that allows for such reclaiming is because of its Christian form.

I hope that makes sense?
10:06 PM - Oct 28, 2023
Renegade Disciple
A
The same rings true for any modern celebration that is the result of early Christian Syncretism as it expanded out of a solely Jewish framework. Christmas, Easter, and Sunday worship itself all have similar stories as All Hallows/All Saints.
10:07 PM - Oct 28, 2023
Amylouise Donnelly
A
What makes sense to me is that you are interpreting something known to be part of the Celtic and even the Druidic tradition through the lens of old (early Cs) Christianity.

I see value in your interpretation, but earth based religions predate the early history of Christianity by quite a lot.
05:46 AM - Oct 29, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}