King Lavender-licous
A
thread 1/9
Via @charlotteclymer Twitter.

First of all, it's not my place--in any way, shape, or form--to tell anyone in the Jewish community what their relationship is to their community.

Second, I support Palestinian liberation.
06:07 AM - Nov 01, 2023 (Edited)
King Lavender-licous
A
thread 2/9
I have said this numerous times, and it seems to be ignored by those who are seemingly allergic to nuance and require what would ideally be a conversation between reasonable adults to be spoonfed to them in a high chair.

And I refuse to do that.
06:07 AM - Nov 01, 2023
King Lavender-licous
A
thread 3/9
Third, I can support Palestinian liberation while calling out antisemitism as someone who isn't Jewish just as urgently as I can call out islamophobia as someone who isn't Muslim. Because a reasonable adult stands against all forms of hatred.
King Lavender-licous
A
thread 4/9
As I have constantly said all month, people should feel free to criticize the current Israeli government and Netanyahu and the IDF on their actions. I certainly have. Read my pinned tweet.
King Lavender-licous
A
thread 5/9
Where we get into trouble here is attempting to justify any form of hatred against Jewish Americans--or Jewish people anywhere--directly or obliquely, on the sole basis of Israel being a Jewish state.
King Lavender-licous
A
thread 6/9
Peddling in antisemitic tropes, vandalizing Jewish homes, sending death threats to Jewish people, etc. -- none of this is about Palestinian liberation but exploiting the suffering of the Palestinian people as a vehicle of convenience for expressing anti-Jewish hatred.
King Lavender-licous
A
thread 7/9
Conflating the two--the Israeli government and Jewish people everywhere--is the fallacy that an alarming number of people, many of them on the far-left, have been doing in the midst of this conflict.

And I reject that.
King Lavender-licous
A
thread 8/9
To fully answer your question, I do think it's a rather beautiful thing to see Jewish organizations and public figures publicly advocate for Palestinian liberation.
King Lavender-licous
A
thread 9/9
Yet, lately, I wonder where this is beauty is to be found in some quarters of the progressive movement when antisemitism is out in the open, only to be met with silence.

It seems to me such beauty should be consistent.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}