Michael J Sheridan
A
thread 1/4
I agree 💯 with Rob's thread here, but I'm going to add some context.

First, in order to expel a sitting member of the House, it takes a 2/3rds majority. That's 290 votes. Even if every Democrat had voted to expel, they'd need 78 Republicans willing to go along. Fewer than 40 did so.
RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his) @RobPalmerIRL
Okay, okay okay. I just heard, and I know y'all are pissed the Dems didn't vote to oust Santos. However, let's look at it from a different angle. Why should the Dems rescue the GOP from themselves? That is, the Dems just set up Santos to be a headache for the GOP.
08:17 PM - Nov 01, 2023
08:52 PM - Nov 01, 2023 (Edited)
Michael J Sheridan
A
thread 2/4
However, back in January, under Article 1 Section 5 of the Constitution, all it would have taken to prevent Santos from being seated at all was a simple majority.

That means the Republicans could have kept the crook out of office BY THEMSELVES if they were serious about corruption.
08:55 PM - Nov 01, 2023
Michael J Sheridan
A
thread 3/4
Santos was more important to Kevin McCarthy as a vote to make him Speaker than keeping a crook out of his caucus.

That makes Santos ENTIRELY a problem the Republican Party CHOSE to embrace when it was expedient.
08:57 PM - Nov 01, 2023
Michael J Sheridan
A
thread 4/4
Every Democrat can, and should, make political hay from now until next November on the fecklessness and corruption of GOP leadership in putting Santos into office, and on how 80% of his GOP colleagues voted to keep him there.
09:03 PM - Nov 01, 2023
RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his)
A
In response to Michael J Sheridan.
Yes you are correct. The last person to be thrown out was James Traficant Jr. (Convicted in 2002 on RICO charges). Yes, was 21 years ago.
08:56 PM - Nov 01, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}