Mike Jung
A
I've been doing as much loose, low-stakes drawing as I can and I plan to continue, but I'm also going to start brainstorming / thumbnailing / sketching this PB idea that's accumulating emotional gravity by the day. I'm excited, but also utterly terrified. The emotional stakes suddenly feel so high.
10:49 AM - Feb 28, 2023
Mike Jung
A
In response to Mike Jung.
The terror just arrived today, and I think it's because there's a whole series of psychological floodgates that are opening inside of me. Thinking about my dad. Thinking about making visual art, being or becoming a visual artist, and about old dreams.
10:50 AM - Feb 28, 2023
Mike Jung
A
Writing children's literature is a dream come true, one I didn't realize I even had until later in life. It's brought me so much that I want, and the potential for so much more. I love writing and I love being a writer. But it's not what I loved first.
10:50 AM - Feb 28, 2023
Mike Jung
A
I loved visual art first. I started drawing and painting and making art as soon as I could hold the materials in my hands. In the assorted schools I attended what people saw wasn't my abilities as a writer; it was my abilities as a visual artist.
10:51 AM - Feb 28, 2023
Mike Jung
A
Art didn't save me the way books did, though. It didn't give me the ability to lose myself and escape into a narrative for hours or days at a time; my relationship to art grew much more complicated over time. Still, I kept it up. I even studied art in college.
Mike Jung
A
High school and college were catastrophically bad years for me, though, and I didn't do well with my artistic studies. And during that years-long haze of depression and suicidal ideation, I gave up on the idea of ever being a professional artist.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}