Halo-Halo w/ All the Sighs
A
thread 1/19
Halo-Halo means mixed or mix-mix in Tagalog and is a yummy, refreshing, colorful Filipino dessert. Describes me well as a gal of mixed heritages, professional statuses, and interests. Spouts and echoes are my own, not of my University employer. Neither are they endorsements.

GIF: Halo-Halo layering
11:37 AM - Nov 08, 2023
A
thread 2/19
While I am a mixed Asian-American, a thing to keep in mind about me and how I interact in this space.
11:44 AM - Nov 08, 2023
A
thread 3/19
About Editorial Discretion in spouts/shares here:

While you'll find a variety of posts here (This is part of the Halo-Halo, after all), some will also encompass multiple challenging topics. Many of those spouts stem from personal experience...or at least solidarity and shared struggle.
11:46 AM - Nov 08, 2023
A
thread 4/19
I am not here to debate what I and other BBIMPs and marginalized cohorts have experienced. Anyone *NAWPing (or any form of "Not all" ing for that matter) will be blocked.

Though I am generally patient and empathetic, neither of these traits is infinite.

*Not All White People
11:47 AM - Nov 08, 2023
A
thread 5/19
While I will help as I can, I am not THE help. I am not an on-call educator-librarian either. I will do this as I have the time and bandwidth to do so.
--
GIF: Woman in STTNG Ops Yellow, touching her comm badge and talking into it: Text: "New comm badge, who 'dis?"
11:50 AM - Nov 08, 2023
A
thread 6/19
I do not prioritize discomfort over harm reduction toward the communities this platform centers. Letting me know where I goof is one thing (e.g. Doing something out of my lane). That said, I am not responsible for audience member feelings about the information I present.
11:51 AM - Nov 08, 2023
A
thread 7/19
You *will* receive pushback on assertions that harm BBIMPs and marginalized cohorts from me and others in this community. This type of pushback is not an attack even if blunt; it is often in the spirit of education and challenging accomplices-to-be to do better.
11:53 AM - Nov 08, 2023
A
thread 8/19
I am generally like Ateh* Lea Salonga here: "I’m not the type to cuss people out, but I will protect my territory and my boundaries. If I lose fans as a result, so be it."
--
*Tagalog for elder sister -- often used toward an elder sister or woman of an age your senior whom you respect.
11:55 AM - Nov 08, 2023
A
thread 9/19
On “kindness” - (1)

ttps://inclusiveexcellence.colostate.edu/kindness-is-not-the-solution-to-racism/

"So what is the solution, if not kindness? We must educate ourselves about policies...U.S. systems that are perpetuating inequitable outcomes for marginalized communities..."
11:56 AM - Nov 08, 2023 (Edited)
A
thread 10/19
On “kindness” - (2)

I am not here to "play nice", I am here to be in community and to do good.

"...subversion is not polite and disruption is not nice"
11:57 AM - Nov 08, 2023
A
thread 11/19
On “kindness” - (3)

I am not always nice, though I am fundamentally kind. Don’t conflate the two.

“Generally, niceness involves doing something that is pleasing or agreeable. By contrast, kindness is doing something that is helpful to others”
11:57 AM - Nov 08, 2023
A
thread 12/19
On the intersections of some of my cohorts of marginalization.

Just because you're of one cohort, you are not absolved of your behavior toward another cohort, especially where you hold privilege and they don't.
--
BTW, This holds true for other cohorts not just the ones linked...
11:59 AM - Nov 08, 2023
A
thread 13/19
On DMs:

Do not send me unsolicited DMs unless I know you in person (That's fewer than 5 Spoutans so far), I interact with you fairly regularly, or we’ve developed a good relationship.

GIF: In a moving cloud of green, White text: Ask
12:38 PM - Nov 08, 2023
A
thread 14/19
On follows/follow-backs.

I neither accept follow requests nor follow back indiscriminately. I do not guarantee either.

I was cloned back in Spring 2023 and I've had two Spoutans now take advantage of my empathetic nature.

I will revoke access without warning if it’s necessary for me to do so.
12:40 PM - Nov 08, 2023
A
thread 15/19
You will see me use the term BBIMP often...

It is "a term coined by Louiza "Weeze'' Doran to use instead of BIPOC.

I am also in this cohort.
12:46 PM - Nov 08, 2023
A
thread 16/19
A discussion with Nancy ( @wiamorgan ) inspired me to add this to the thread. Twisting the definitions of respect like this is absolutely wrong, yet commonly used to subjugate BBIMP and other marginalized cohorts.

Don't make me tap this sign.
12:48 PM - Nov 08, 2023
A
thread 17/19
Don't mistake this cinnamon roll for a puff pastry. My spice *will* sneak up on you. Any resulting discomfort is assumed at your own risk.

Again, my patience isn't infinite. I will use any of the tools available to me on my devices and this platform as necessary for my self-care and mental health.
11:57 AM - Feb 20, 2024 (Edited)
A
thread 18/19
(Royal) you may think I'm being harsh, but these boundaries are for me, not (royal) you. If anything, to have a better idea of what to expect from me. Given my lived experience and intersecting identities, they are necessary. I do not have public accounts without boundaries. Period.
12:10 PM - Feb 20, 2024 (Edited)
A
thread 19/19
Just like with my boundaries, I will add, modify, and/or rework this pinned thread as necessary, so watch these seas... (Whale Watching, anyone? 😉 )

Whalecome!

GIF: A humpback whale breaching. (Diving backward into the ocean).
12:13 PM - Feb 20, 2024
Deanna (@LadyDi) of Love Wins Movement
A
In response to Halo-Halo w/ All the Sighs.
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
12:54 PM - Jan 26, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}