Richard
A
Ok advice. We've been feeding this cat for three weeks but she still will not let us touch her. She will not come in the house but she sleeps at night on our outdoor furniture. She gets within a foot of us to eat. How do we close this deal. Do we try to pet her while she's eating? Leave her be?
07:20 AM - Nov 10, 2023
Bart De Bear
A
Slow and steady seems to work best. Try using a treat like Inaba, squeezed onto a spoon keeping the distance where she feels comfortable then slowly bring it closer to you day by day. I have a TNR I've been feeding for a while and she appears to have never been socialized so it's slow going.
In response to Richard.
07:29 AM - Nov 10, 2023
Richard
A
In response to Bart De Bear.
Great advice thanks. We were wondering if she had been traumatized. But yeah we need to do that too. My wife already had one appointment canceled.
07:34 AM - Nov 10, 2023
Bart De Bear
A
In response to Richard.
I'd probably avoid trying to pet her until she works up the courage to trust you to feed her at close range. At that point a careful touch test might be accepted. Best of luck. I'm building a winter shelter for her since it's getting colder and will proceed with socialization in the spring.
07:44 AM - Nov 10, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}