Graham Monamy
A
I don't think this will work as I don't have enough followers, and of the ones I have, probably way less software devs... but hey!

What is your biggest challenge as a software developer?

Feel free to post other challenges other than the poll options! #coding #software #coding #developers #coders

Unrealistic deadlines

Poor requirements

Limited budget

Knowledge gaps

50 votes — 03:25 PM - Nov 10, 2023 (Edited)
Umbrae Soulsbane
A
In response to Graham Monamy.
My take is Poor reqs can be overcome by more involvement from stakeholders and agile dev, Limited budget can be overcome by reducing scope, Knowledge gaps overcome by training. However Unrealistic deadlines is a recipe for failure and rarely does this delusional a leadership come to it senses.
03:59 PM - Nov 10, 2023
Graham Monamy
A
In response to Umbrae Soulsbane.
I accept what your saying, however my experience is somewhat different, stakeholders may not want to be move involved, and I've never been on a project where scope got reduced. However, what you suggest is 100% legitimate
04:07 PM - Nov 10, 2023
Umbrae Soulsbane
A
I mean sure. All can have obstacles. I am just saying all the others have easy and obvious solutions. Unrealistic things come from unrealistic people which is much harder to change or fix. And the problems you might have with the other options are also related to unrealistic expectations or people.
04:11 PM - Nov 10, 2023
Graham Monamy
A
Please don't take offence, however, what might be an "easy and obvious solution" to you may not be the opinion of the the people with the budget
04:15 PM - Nov 10, 2023
Umbrae Soulsbane
A
No offense taken but that is back to unrealistic people. You can't fix those. I have worked in tech 30 years including fortune 250 companies. All those other problems are attainable if everyone cares about success of the project. Otherwise it comes down to a management problem not any of the others.
04:20 PM - Nov 10, 2023
Graham Monamy
A
I should have included "unrealistic people" as that is a major issue where I am now
04:22 PM - Nov 10, 2023
Umbrae Soulsbane
A
Honestly that is always the problem. That is when developers are equated to a barista like applications were as easy to build as pouring a cup of coffee.

Generally I hold those people out to dry. Usually when projects keep failing they get the picture. Or you get to move on somewhere else.
04:31 PM - Nov 10, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}