Chuck McManis
A
thread 1/10
One of the interesting things to me about social media is that it closely follows "conversation dynamics." To understand those you have to imagine you have arrived at a venue with tables of various sizes spread out and people milling about ...
02:44 PM - Nov 12, 2023
Chuck McManis
A
thread 2/10
On arrival, when you don't see anyone you know you're kind of quiet. Maybe you have seen the name tags of people you DO know who are registered for the event but don't see them. This is a classic social construct dilemma (if that is a thing) where the 'rules' of participating are unclear. and so ...
Chuck McManis
A
thread 3/10
You are quiet and observing. Trying to get a 'sense' of the place. If this goes on too long you leave and make a note to maybe come back later. If it is just a random place to go, this can last for a while.
Chuck McManis
A
thread 4/10
So in the "physical" world, we create common activity hubs. Maybe everyone is interested in quilting, or tabletop gaming, or painting miniatures. It sets a common thread and provides a 'safe' topic to talk about.
Chuck McManis
A
thread 5/10
These are sometimes called "meetups" or "clubs" or "retreats." The secret is that the common theme means there is always something safe to talk about that the person you are talking with has some interest in, after all they are present at the meeting.
Chuck McManis
A
thread 6/10
Social media sites with "all topics" start out as a vast open chamber. Nobody knows anyone and there are few nexuses (nexi?) of conversation. The lack of conversations means a lack of opportunity to observe the etiquette.
Chuck McManis
A
thread 7/10
Everyone stays quiet out of a desire to "not offend" or perhaps "contribute positively." and the quiet persists. So what is the solution? Not surprisingly it is "talking to yourself." as I am doing here.
Chuck McManis
A
thread 8/10
A few people will read this (I've got like 40 followers so not a lot) but a few will comment. Maybe someone will echo it. Maybe one or two will come over to listen to me talking to myself, maybe one or two will chime in.
Chuck McManis
A
thread 9/10
Sometimes it will just be resounding silence. But that's okay to, because in the big room of people milling about a few more will be less self conscious about just sharing with the void. And you do that enough and you will find connection with people.
Chuck McManis
A
thread 10/10
Three months? A year you will find that you are talking all the time with people in that big room and go there often to reconnect with them. But it all starts with talking to yourself and not worrying if anyone is listening or not. /fin
Barbara Reid
A
In response to Chuck McManis.
I love this, Chuck! Thanks, and welcome!
12:10 AM - Nov 13, 2023
PS Annie
A
Great thread, Chuck. Thanks.
04:23 PM - Nov 12, 2023
Carmen Derbedrossian
A
Spot on. It seems to me that in any social gathering, be it in person or media the volume needs to be just right. Personally, I read the room more than once, and try hard to be myself and let others do the same. Respect, empathy, limits and civility are the ingredients to a good start.
04:19 PM - Nov 12, 2023
Just Curious About Stuff
A
All the way through

Welcome aboard! 😃✌🏻🖖🏻
03:57 PM - Nov 12, 2023
Bren
A
If you hear footsteps in here they're mine. I read this start to finish you are not alone with your thoughts. 💃
03:41 PM - Nov 12, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}