Linda Eisenstein
A
#DailyArtSpout

This neighborhood mural across the street was commissioned by the owner of a local business for his wall. It sparks some controversy. Some say it sexualizes indigenous women in a fake way; he says it honors his Native grandmother. Me? I dunno what to think, but I like the colors.
11:22 AM - Nov 13, 2023
Barbara Edelman
A
In response to Linda Eisenstein.
i suspect animation & commercial illustration & photography are big part of artist's training & influence. the lip position is not a natural one for unless one has a nose so badly clogged they have to breathe through their mouth. but it's everywhere. it's a common direction on model shoots,
05:57 PM - Nov 13, 2023
Barbara Edelman
A
In response to Barbara Edelman.
in tiktok & youtube make up videos, advice to women seeking to learn "how to look sexy," so it's not surprising. is that hypersexualization or the norm/standard sexualization of women? if the storeowner is happy with the result, the artist fulfilled his commission.
05:59 PM - Nov 13, 2023 (Edited)
Annie Bee Good
A
How is this a sexualized depiction? I see no body parts associated with sexual display & I see no seductive facial expression. The closest I can come is to acknowledge there's a level of attractiveness in her features, but since when does that make the leap to sexualization?
01:10 PM - Nov 13, 2023
Evolve Undefined
A
Another thought- if he is indigenous & commissioned the work by someone he trusts then it’s not for anyone else (least of all white folk) to judge. A white feminist critique is still a racist critique if it assumes the opinion is more legitimate than that of the Native man who commissioned it.
12:53 PM - Nov 13, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
In response to Evolve Undefined.
All your comments are interesting & have crossed my mind.
12:54 PM - Nov 13, 2023
Evolve Undefined
A
Is the painter indigenous ? I’m not in a position to judge as I am not indigenous, but one thing I always think about is whether the image (dress/etc) is traditionally accurate for a particular tribe. Anglo ppl have been disrespectful & racist in their representations of indigenous people.
12:47 PM - Nov 13, 2023
J.W. Sutton, Jr. (he/him)
A
Very cool piece. Given the absence of any sexualized anatomy (besides the face?), I don’t understand the criticism. Native women can’t be attractive?
12:37 PM - Nov 13, 2023
Bev Turner
A
Wonderful.
12:36 PM - Nov 13, 2023
violet flame16
A
What is sexual about it? That she’s gorgeous?
12:29 PM - Nov 13, 2023
Kimberly Harps
A
I like it!
12:27 PM - Nov 13, 2023
Alfalpha Male ✔️
A
Art should always spark controversy
11:27 AM - Nov 13, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}