Rebecca Pompano
A
Question for non-scientists. You may know that most biomedical research at U.S. universities is funded by grants from the Natl Institutes of Health. Scientists spend weeks to months crafting each proposal. After peer review, what top fraction of major proposals do you think gets funded each round?

1-10%

10-20%

20-30%

30-50%

27 votes — 12:05 PM - Feb 21, 2023
BrilliantFuture
A
In response to Rebecca Pompano.
I knew immediately that it was well let's be honest closer to the 1%. The scientific field is criminally underfunded and it infuriates me. Tbh, you folks are some of the only people who give me hope for the future.

I wish I had the means to personally help, I would without hesitation if I could.
12:43 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Rebecca Pompano
A
I love that you are so supportive. Looking at NIH "paylines", which are percentiles above which most grants are funded, most institutes fund roughly the top 10-15% each round. Some a little higher or lower. This is still tough, though not as bad as 1%.
In response to BrilliantFuture.
10:57 PM - Feb 28, 2023
BrilliantFuture
A
Firstly, you're very welcome! That's indeed better than I thought it was, though I still want to see far more.
10:48 AM - Mar 01, 2023
Rebecca Pompano
A
Here is a great post on what this means in terms of # of attempts needed for likely funding. "Suppose a per-application success rate of 17.7%. ... 15 applications are required to get to a 95% cumulative probability of at least one being awarded." https://drugmonkey.wordpress.com/?s=nih+cumulative
10:58 PM - Feb 28, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}