dani
A
thread 1/2
I say this with as much respect as I can muster, get a grip.

Did they just join?
Oh no, not Spain! How scary.
They said hello? What a monster!

I know many people have had terrible experiences on social media, but this fear of new accounts is wild.

Switch your account to accept followers.
Trauma Epidemic @BeanOpenMind
Just blocked a 2nd new follower with about 17 follows, no followers, no spouts or replies, this one from Spain. First was another European country, IIRC, with just "Hell-o" in the profile.

Either there's a need for a 'welcome and please demonstrate your humanity' message or I'll keep blocking. You?
07:15 PM - Nov 17, 2023
08:18 PM - Nov 17, 2023 (Edited)
dani
A
thread 2/2
And because I would never allow someone to be a context thief.
10:50 PM - Nov 17, 2023
AprilG Xn+2 = Xn+1 + Xn
A
In response to dani.
WTF? This makes zero sense. Why even be on SM if you're going to block people who follow you? It's bonkers.
10:39 PM - Nov 17, 2023
Jodi B
A
In response to dani.
About a year ago, I had a very nice, 20 min. conversation on Twitter. Suddenly she said "Don't follow me. You have bad followers." I had no clue what that meant. She said "Some haven't tweeted or there's no profile picture. They can read everything you post!"

Um... the WHOLE WORLD can read it!! 😂
09:40 PM - Nov 17, 2023
dani
A
In response to Jodi B.
Based on a few comments I’ve seen I’m starting to think people believe that followers have a level of access to your account that non followers don’t have. Unless your on private….um.
09:41 PM - Nov 17, 2023
jocelynjtweet
A
In response to dani.
This is why I curate followers. Someone with no spouts, replies or likes asks to follow me, and I dont accept their request. I want to know who someone is before accepting the request. But I won’t block someone, I just don’t accept the request. Use the tools Spoutible provides!
08:52 PM - Nov 17, 2023
dani
A
In response to jocelynjtweet.
Sincere question, no judgement, because I think people should be allowed to do things their way, and I don’t think you’ve ever made a spectacle of someone.

Why do you curate followers? If your account was private, I would understand.
09:05 PM - Nov 17, 2023
KMRidgley / Artiste
A
In response to dani.
Yeah, I followed them right back. I don't know, Spain seems alright with me. I mean, that Picasso dude was pretty cool and they make Riojas, a really good red wine, not to mention Paella which is amazingly delicious...and, wow, Europeans in general are just alright with me, oh yeah!
08:41 PM - Nov 17, 2023 (Edited)
dani
A
In response to KMRidgley / Artiste.
Tempranillo is life.
08:44 PM - Nov 17, 2023
dariasteigman
A
In response to dani.
Plus why is anyone blocking followers? I block asshats, but followers who don't engage (yet) are just people who see my spouts in the stream. 🤷‍♀️
08:32 PM - Nov 17, 2023
Kirk Taylor
A
In response to dariasteigman.
On this site I only block ppl who've demonstrated awful behavior.
I will say that on X I get a lotta bots trying to follow me. So annoying. No interaction w/anyone, yet they have x,xxx 'followers' because their pic is a pretty girl.
SO. MUch. GARBAGE over there on Elon's project
10:42 PM - Nov 17, 2023
hal
A
In response to dani.
I admit I don't know what other people have experienced. I guess I'm fortunate that, so far, having "ghost" followers has never affected me in any way whatsoever.
08:30 PM - Nov 17, 2023
dani
A
In response to hal.
And why should it? If people follow you but don’t engage, who cares. They aren’t harming you.

If it’s a question of unsolicited DMs, change your settings.
08:33 PM - Nov 17, 2023
Felisa We got more emojis?
A
In response to dani.
What is this paranoia? My gawd, 🙄. If I would have done what he'd assuming, I wouldn't have met so many interesting people.
08:29 PM - Nov 17, 2023
dani
A
In response to Felisa We got more emojis?.
No, and to be fair, it is by no means just him. I see it all the time and it’s gross.

I’ve never had a reason on this platform to be this paranoid.
08:31 PM - Nov 17, 2023
Claudia Citro
A
In response to dani.
I have this wild idea that if I see Asian script enough times, I’ll understand it. Same with Spanish writing, and whatever other languages are here. I also ❤️their posts, assuming they are good 😊 people
08:25 PM - Nov 17, 2023
dani
A
In response to Claudia Citro.
Osmosis!
08:25 PM - Nov 17, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}