Susan L
A
thread 1/5
Ya know, I don’t consider myself particularly militant

But I’m irritated more frequently by language like this. Because it is imprecise.
What it means to say is “White men.”

And what it means to say is, White middle class boys who used to be able to just glide through life because that’s
09:02 AM - Nov 25, 2023
Susan L
A
thread 2/5
how White men had set up the whole system for them.

This language, says it all. “men are increasingly struggling with, or suffering from, higher unemployment, lower rates of educational attainment…”

Men are “suffering”

Is it possible they’re actually failing to compete in a new
Susan L
A
thread 3/5
playing field that’s beginning to even out, in which they still have a significant advantage?

White people have been shielded by the myth of White Supremacy for so long that we have a real problem seeing reality. Me included. I’m just a normal, every day, old white lady.

I think we need to take
Susan L
A
thread 4/5
A good hard look.

I think our boys and men need to take a good hard look.

Maybe it’s time to pull yourselves up by your bootstraps, boys.
Susan L
A
thread 5/5
Gift link to the article that got me so worked up so early in the morning

https://wapo.st/3uxOUdB
Just Judith'n'ALF #VotedYes
A
In response to Susan L.
AND (she says through gritted teeth) it is by the #EditorialBoard .
And people worry about the overt obscenity that is #FOX ?
This covert stuff is far more influential.
Thank you for the gifted article.
03:35 PM - Nov 25, 2023
Elle Faba Prefers Bears to Humans
A
In response to Just Judith'n'ALF #VotedYes.
For grins I checked out the names on the editorial board. Imagine that. The lead names all sound very white male.
03:37 PM - Nov 25, 2023
Terminator LX
A
In response to Susan L.
Thank you for calling this out. I’ve always said this, but it doesn’t mean much to the people who really need to hear it coming from me. People blinded by white supremacy tend to listen to other white people more on this issue. That’s why being actively anti-racist matters so much.
10:12 AM - Nov 25, 2023
Susan L
A
In response to Terminator LX.
I really wish more white folks would open their mouths and say the truth. I just don’t see how anything can really & truly change until that happens. I mean, It’s on us to stand up and undo this whole damn mess we made. And if we can’t even say it out loud, what hope is there?
10:21 AM - Nov 25, 2023
Debbie Lu
A
In response to Susan L.
Fellow old white lady here! Imprecise and far too soft IMO. I am disappointed in the rigidity of thought across the board. A hard look, lessons in flexibility, tolerance, curiosity about the world’s peoples, and instilling resilience are all desperately needed.
10:05 AM - Nov 25, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}