Susan L
A
thread 1/5
Ya know, I don’t consider myself particularly militant

But I’m irritated more frequently by language like this. Because it is imprecise.
What it means to say is “White men.”

And what it means to say is, White middle class boys who used to be able to just glide through life because that’s
09:02 AM - Nov 25, 2023
Susan L
A
thread 2/5
how White men had set up the whole system for them.

This language, says it all. “men are increasingly struggling with, or suffering from, higher unemployment, lower rates of educational attainment…”

Men are “suffering”

Is it possible they’re actually failing to compete in a new
Susan L
A
thread 3/5
playing field that’s beginning to even out, in which they still have a significant advantage?

White people have been shielded by the myth of White Supremacy for so long that we have a real problem seeing reality. Me included. I’m just a normal, every day, old white lady.

I think we need to take
Susan L
A
thread 4/5
A good hard look.

I think our boys and men need to take a good hard look.

Maybe it’s time to pull yourselves up by your bootstraps, boys.
Susan L
A
thread 5/5
Gift link to the article that got me so worked up so early in the morning

https://wapo.st/3uxOUdB
Evolve Undefined
A
In response to Susan L.
I’m an old white lady & I couldn’t agree with you more on every point. I will read this piece but I’m sure it infuriate me !! Sadly- we are going to hear a lot more of this as incompetent little white boys & the white male supremacy that coddles them is challenged- KEEP CONFRONTING ALL OF IT!
10:32 AM - Nov 25, 2023
Ground Control
A
In response to Susan L.
Adapt or die...the one iron rule of existence. When you've had the world handed to you, that makes adaptation a lot harder.

Oh and white guys as a rule ALWAYS leaned right in my lifetime (speaking as one who went the other way). They love their benefits too much.
09:47 AM - Nov 25, 2023
Katie Kadwell
A
In response to Susan L.
Yeah the lede alone is gross… “can American marriage be saved?” Wretch. Great thread, thank you.
09:42 AM - Nov 25, 2023
Just Judith'n'ALF #VotedYes
A
In response to Katie Kadwell.
Even Billy Graham (I was once part of that) used to say of marriage as an institution held up for honour ...
" ... who wants to live in an institution?"
03:40 PM - Nov 25, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
In response to Susan L.
I also think money probably has a lot to do with it. Marriage is expensive, at least if you do anything like a traditional ceremony.

A quick search reveals the average marriage in the US eats up around $30,000. No shit fewer GenZ folks have them. That's a luxury for the rich, in this day and age.
09:37 AM - Nov 25, 2023
Just Judith'n'ALF #VotedYes
A
In response to Anton Brakhage.
I'm being picky here Anton ... weddings and marriage can usefully be separated I reckon.
We are still seeing *some* expensive weddings, but more and more less flamboyant.
03:45 PM - Nov 25, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}