az (lowercase intentional)
A
thread 1/20
"not voting for Biden is rejecting democracy.”

okay. let's talk about this.

i am a citizen of the United States and i vote in United States elections. these are my qualifications for this discussion.
11:32 AM - Dec 10, 2023 (Edited)
A
thread 2/20
in this thread i am drawing from and often paraphrasing @/rynnstar on TikTok. i would just share her video, but it's set to followers only. the ideas that she expresses are not unique and have definitely been said by others as well.
11:32 AM - Dec 10, 2023
A
thread 3/20
i also shared a draft of the thread with my mother, @canyonsfan , who asked some excellent questions and was generally very helpful.
11:33 AM - Dec 10, 2023
A
thread 4/20
you are asking me to vote for Biden because if i don't, then fascism will win.

but Biden’s presidency has done nothing to stop the rise of fascism in the United States. in fact, Roe v. Wade was overturned during his presidency, and that's just one example.
A
thread 5/20
what evidence can you give me that this will change if we give Biden another four years?

when i ask for evidence, i do not want claims that we can “pull him left.” people have been saying that for the past four years, and it has not proven itself to be the case.
A
thread 6/20
also, anytime someone criticizes Biden, we are more often than not yelled at and told that it's not his fault and that we're part of the problem, because if we criticize him, then the Republicans will win more seats and make things worse.
A
thread 7/20
but… the Republicans winning seats is about a lot more than that. it's about decades of slowly pushing the United States farther right and normalizing that in our minds.
11:34 AM - Dec 10, 2023
A
thread 8/20
because of the social consequences of criticizing Biden, the chances of him being pressured into doing ANYTHING to try to stop the rise of fascism are extremely low to zero.
A
thread 9/20
you are asking me to vote for Biden even though nothing will fundamentally change and i am not allowed to criticize him, on the sole basis that the Republican candidate will be worse.
A
thread 10/20
what happens in four years, then? when we are in this exact position again? when the Republican candidate is likely going to openly be a fascist and the Democratic candidate is likely not going to be any better than Biden?
A
thread 11/20
fascism in the United States has grown under Biden's presidency. this is a fact. we will not be defeating it by voting for him, because it will continue to grow.
11:35 AM - Dec 10, 2023
A
thread 12/20
do you see how this is not a winnable system? do you see how, to many of us, voting is not the answer? it is a band-aid over a bullet hole that we are being told is “just a flesh wound.”
A
thread 13/20
i am moving back to the US in January, to a state that is better than a lot of others in many ways. i am still terrified. and i am white. i am, for all intents and purposes, not Jewish. i am exempt from a lot of the horrors of fascism that have happened in the past.
A
thread 14/20
but i am also trans. and even if i wasn't, fuck, is it that hard to give a shit about other people?
A
thread 15/20
to me, the Democratic party is evil because they do not put in any work to stop fascism. they make noises about it, but a Democratic president was not able to (or chose not to) stop my right to abortion from being taken away.
11:36 AM - Dec 10, 2023
A
thread 16/20
if the fact that the current president (and, indeed, the Democratic party) does not care about you other than when they are actively campaigning for your vote is news to you, then… congratulations on being privileged.
A
thread 17/20
and if you want evidence that Biden doesn't care, here's an article from last year about actions he could take and has not taken: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/07/biden-abortion-vote-congress-roe-midterms.html
A
thread 18/20
imagine the situation was reversed. a Republican president is in office while the Supreme Court rules that abortion is legal. that president would immediately take steps to undermine the ruling and otherwise negate its effects.
11:37 AM - Dec 10, 2023
A
thread 19/20
to me, the only explanation is that Biden doesn't care. why should i vote for someone who doesn't care enough about other people to utilize his executive power to protect our rights?
11:37 AM - Dec 10, 2023
A
thread 20/20
i just want the world to be better and i don't see how going round and round in circles is going to produce any other result than what we already have.
11:38 AM - Dec 10, 2023
Jeff Russell
A
The sad part is tRump had no clue who these people were. The right wing extremes had a list ready to go. Mitch McConnell stole two Supreme Court seats from us. I will never forgive that man for all the evil he has brought to our country.
In response to Richard Harvey Swaine.
03:00 PM - Dec 10, 2023
Tomi T Ahonen Not Guilty On 34 Counts
A
In response to Jeff Russell.
Trump is the worst President we've had by far, and the biggest criminal in US history. But Mitch did more lasting damage to America with that SCOTUS ploy, as Trump was quite inept, and Pelosi got in from 2018 to stop the nonsense
03:08 PM - Dec 10, 2023
Jeff Russell
A
In response to Tomi T Ahonen Not Guilty On 34 Counts.
💯
03:09 PM - Dec 10, 2023
Jeff Russell
A
In response to Jeff Russell.
If he would have impeached tRump the first time or even the second time, we wouldn't be going through all of this.
03:01 PM - Dec 10, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}